NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

crazy eyes!

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

i love greys eyes! and now brians are more silvery i can really see where he is looking and how the dialate. i was wondering if anyone knew anything about how greys see? just for my own curiosity/learning experience. i'm presuming they see in colour, but do they have good sight? why do their eyes dialate so much? is it just for focus or do they have a sort of "zoom" feature LOL. i ask about the telescopic/zoom thing because we were in the garden once and it was quite overcast and a aeroplane flew over, i couldn't see it but brian tilted his head to the side and watched something move all the way across the sky. almost as if he could see past the clouds.

I was in a Barnes and Nobel book store one day just browsing around.. I came upon a book about birds.. I really should have purchased the book because it was that good.. Anyway.. I was reading about their anatomy and found out a couple of interesting things.. First off, their eye sight is about the best there is in the animal world.. Not only do they see color but they almost have super vision. All birds have this ability.. Eagles have eyes the size of a human... and their body size is so much smaller.. Then can see a rodent on the ground from hundreds of fee in the air..

I didn't see why Greys Dilate their pupils. But I know they do it when they are excited..

The other thing I learned that day is something about the way birds breathe.. You see, you and I breath into our lungs and then exhale.. Birds have a special system that allowes the air to flow through their lungs.. continuously... so the are extracting oxygen out of the air way more efficiently then other animals ever could...

Now when I see a flock of birds flying I don't think, How can they do that without getting tired.. They can because of the way they process oxygen from the air and then to their muscles...

This is a good question Beccy.. I am sure some of our family member can add to the eye thing...

Guest Monique

I concur with Ceasar. After time you will probably be able to tell your birds have favorite colors.

The reason that parrots eyes dilate so much is because for them pupil dilation is VOLUNTARY where for you and I our eyes just dilate based upon things like light in the room (or eye drops from the dr. :) ).

I decided to look this up and found some cool info..

"Cells called cones are also present in eyes. Cones allow the brain to perceive colors. A human may have 10,000 cones per square millimeter while some birds may have up to 120,000 per square millimeter"

"birds who forage and feed in the daylight see colors very clearly from far off. It's been said that a hummingbird can spot red flowers from over a half mile away"

"The eyes of most birds are on the side of their heads. This placement allows them to be able to see the things on each side at the same time as well as in front of them. This type of vision is called monocular vision. Birds with eyes placed like this get a wide area of vision to be able to see danger as quickly as possible. For instance, Rock Doves (pigeons) can see 300 degrees without turning their head."

And apparently birds can see Ultraviolet light!

Guest briansmum

wow great info luna where did you find that, i couldnt find anything. thanks for taking the time to chat about this everyone, it was one of those things that was playing on my mind and i thought "i just have to know more"

and monique i don't know about favourite colours but so far i have discovered Brian HATES bright yellow! not pale or mellow yellow, he's fine with those. but anything bright yellow and he gets all puffy and growly. it's so strange B)

Bekkie got a few balls to play with, but there is one that she does'nt like and I newer knew why, but now I know, it's because it's yellow. Maybe in the wild one of their enemies is yellowish, can somebody maybe help out

Yes, our birds can not only see the red/green/blue colours with which we are all familiar, but they can also perceive UV light. Have you ever watched an episode of CSI in which one of the characters flashes a UV light on some portion of a crime scene and it lights up with all sorts of normally imperceptible details? Greys are able to see such details in sunshine! I have often wondered if the scalloped edges of their feathers light up in a similar way when viewed through their remarkable eyes. When I take Zoe out in full sunshine, I vaguely perceive a bluish irridescent tint to her chest feathers which would probably be much more conspicuous to another bird.

I've read avian vision is so incredible that this is the primary reason why providing a full spectrum pet light is a good idea. Living without UV would be about the equivalent of you or I living with only a black light to see with. I should try to find that paragraph in that book again... I've got so many birdy books though lol.