NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Giving honey to greys

Jason

Just wondering if anyone knows if honey is ok to give to greys and in what quantity. I searched on the internet but could not find anything about giving honey directly.

Ernie tasted a bit off my finger last night and loved it but i did not give him too much as i was not sure about it.

Thanks

Jason

• 2 weeks later...

Honey isn't good for parrots because they don't metabilize it quickly. It may seem like they do but they don't. Small parrots such as quakers and conures and budgies and parrotlets can actually die from too much honey. Honey isn't even good for hummingbirds. They'll eat it and die. Anyone who deals with hummers will tell you that the nectar is not on the safe list. It's sweet and of course, parrots like anything sweet. A bird will also eat very sugary products that's made with the sugar we use but that doesn't make it safe. The honey that's used in seed sticks has been extremely thinned out because it's use is simply to keep the seeds in one place. You would be taking a chance with honey. It's not recommended on any bird list and that would come under the fruit list. Mixing it in with other foods doesn't thin it out. It simply masks the thickness. My opinion is to stay with safe things which are acceptable to birds internal systems. A very young bird is much more active than an adult bird and an adult bird doesn't metabilize honey or maple syrup or other types of saps very well. That's why nature stops them from eating it even though they perch and roost on trees that contain them. So, it's up to you. I wouldn't do it because there's too many other natural fruits that can be given which are definitely safe.