NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When should I try to hold my african grey?

tarah22

Hello,

I just purchased my African grey (Harley) over the weekend and I am unsure as to when I should try to get him to perch on my arm. He is 8 years old and the previous owner didn't spend much time with him. He is already regurgitating food for me so thats a good sign. But the other day he put his head down for me to rub it and then bit my finger. Some advice would be great!

Thanks!!

Just take things slow it takes allot of patients and he will let you know when he's ready right now you should be geting to know him spending time talking giving him treats and just being there before you do anything with him make sure you tem him first what you want to do like if he puts his head down for a scatch tell him that your going to give him a scratch or you can ask him to step up if he does then he was ready if he doesn't don't push it butdon't stop and always be predictable and start doing things rotinely greys like rotine they like to know what to expect change makes them nervous. if you are going to make changes you have to go slow your home is all new he needs to learn all about his new home and how everything works then he will be ready to start trusting you and letting you into his life more.Good for you for giving an older grey a chance for a better life the rewards are well worth the wait.

Hi, welcome to the forum.

This is a question that is difficult to answer. Every bird is different and so is every owner.

First off, give Harley time to get to know you and trust you. Regurgitating can mean a couple things. If you are lucky he's telling you he likes you. He still doesn't know you so nervousness can take over quickly causing him to try to bite. You'll get mixed messages from him because he's not sure who you are or what you are up to. The other thing is, his hormones could be raging a bit and the breeding urge could be having him regurgitate easily. I had an Amazon once that when he went into birdie "heat" he'd regurgitate to me anytime I got close or touched him. A bird with hormones raging can be a frustrated moody bird.

The offering of the head for a scratch only to bite is a typical Grey "test" and you took the bait! Try not to react when he strikes. Just stay calm pull your hand back just out of range but don't take it away completely. Talk nicely to him. See if he offers his head again. Watch his eyes you can usually see a determined look or that "sparkle" just before they strike. If he gets you acting scared, he'll be more likely to keep striking. My previous Grey loved playing this game with my daughter. It took her time to learn to control her fear and to not react dramically. He'd still test her when she came over but she learned to call his bluff and he'd let her scratch him. He eventually learned the work "scraaatch?" from her and would ask her for one. My wife was another story. She never trusted the bird and would screech when bit and get all upset. Greys LOVE DRAMA!!! So what did my bird learn to do? He liked to taunt her. He'd even climb down off his cage and go after her feet. He'd lunge, she'd jump back and screech, and he'd charge her again until I intervened. To him it became great fun! To her, not much fun.

Try doing the scratch through the bars. Don't stick you finger through, 'cause if he clamps down you are REALLY trapped! See if he'll come over close. If you just get one single stroke and stop before he strikes you'll be making progress. Each time may get a little longer.

Since Harley is 8 and his former owner didn't handle him much you may be in for a bit of a wait before he'll let you hold him. Don't worry, just be patient. Talk to him, sit near his cage, place his cage in a spot where he can watch you. I call it "seducing". You want him to start to crave attention from you. Greys are social creatures and they usually WANT attention from you. You just have to learn to flirt. Find a treat he likes and give it to him. At first it may be just dropping a grape or a nut in his bowl, or handing it to him through the bars. Don't worry if he grabs it and throws it down. Just do it every day. Again, seduce him. If he likes the treat and takes it from your fingers then next time delay giving it to him for a few seconds. Show it to him, and talk about it in an upbeat, excited voice. If he gets a little excited go ahead and give it to him. If not give it to him anyway. You want him to associate good actions with you. Look for little cues he may be giving you. With my current Grey "Sam" I couldn't get him to step up on my hand. Then one evening I'd been talking to him while passing through the livingroom a few times. He was hanging out on the top of his cage and I saw him climb down onto the open cage door. He leaned out stetching his neck way out toward me acting like he want to fly over to me. I caught the hin, walked over and raised my finger saying "step-up" and bingo he did it! He didn;t stay long but his cue to be picked up was coming down onto the door. After a while he decided I was ok and now I can pick him up from anywhere.

Remember, be patient - this could take days, weeks or even a couple months. If you develop a good relationship with Harley, he'll reward you for many, many, years to come, so this time is well spent. Be calm, positive and predicable. Establish a routine. A few minutes saying nice things to him while you change his food and water is a good way to start.

When the time comes that you feel he's bonding with you, you can take the next step and see if you can handle him. It was very slow going with my first Grey, Nelson. Maybe even several months before I even tried. I had to start by using a dowel to get him to step up on. I used the "step up" command/cue and lightly pushed the side of the dowel against the lower part of his chest with a slight upward motion above his legs. This slight gentle pressure is just enough that he'll either step back, stand his ground, or take a step up. Don't keep pushing, Just try a few times and take a break, then try again. If it doesn't work just ry again the next day. The "step-up" command/cue will help Harley understand over time what you are expecting him to do. When Nelson finally stepped on the dowel I just sat there praising him and returned him to his cage after a couple minutes. Babysteps... you need to take babysteps. Keep the end of the dowel tilted slightly up. The bird's instict will have him move to the highest point. After Nelson learned to accept the dowel I slowly lowered the tip so that my hand and arm was the high end. It took a few tries but he ended up side stepping onto my arm. We just sat and talked for a while then I set him back in his cage to decompress. It was hard work for both of us. Beware!!! if the bird starts heading up your arm, raise your arm up so your hand is higher and that should stop it. Otherwise intercept the bird with the dowel and make him step up or block him with your other hand. Better to be bit on the hand than on the face.

Sorry for the long post. I hope this helps you a bit. I'm sure others will add their tips and suggestion. It all takes patience and time and TRUST! Harley needs to learn to trust you.

- Tom

Tom is spot on with the GreYt advice given.

If yo u open the cage door, how does Harley react and if you place your hand/arm in SLOWLY, how does he react?

Based on the reaction, you can determine if he is ready for a step-up.

I haven't tried to open the cage door to see what he will do. I wasn't sure if it was a good idea yet since I've only had him a few days. I didn't want him to escape. I haven't stuck my hand in the cage yet either. I didn't know how soon I should try. I was reading other peoples post about how their bird is cage aggressive and makes weird noises when they get close. The only noise that Harley makes (that I think is weird) is a clicking noise. Not sure what that means. Otherwise everytime I come up to his cage he immediately comes over to me and starts whistling and regurgitating his food. He won't really take any treats from my hand yet. and if he does, then he drops it on the floor.

Everyones posts have been really helpful! Thanks guys!!

Tarah, why don't you just open his cage door and allow him to come out on his own, don't worry about putting him back as he will go back in when he gets hungry or thirsty enough.

It sounds like he is accepting you but he is testing you too for that is the classic "sucker punch" lowering his head as if to invite a scratch and then biting.

Tom, aka SamsDad, has given you some excellent advice, follow that and you should be able to make some headway with Harley soon.

Meanwhile why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome & introduction room and tell us some about you and Harley.

Hi tarah, I don't have any experience with an older grey so, sorry no words of wisdom from me. I just wanted to welcome you to the family. I hope Harley will begin to trust you soon so you can take some pictures to share with us. I do know with patience and love the trust will come and you and Harley will have a long and loving companionship.

Well I think I made some progess.... I opened his cage to see what he would do as I sat on the couch next to him. He tried to get as close to me as possible. (he was hanging on the outside edge of his door which is where I was sitting) So I sat on the floor and extended my arm to him. He would only put one hand on my arm and then regurgitate food on my arm. A little gross, but it was better than nothing. I am assuming he wouldn't actually step up on my arm due to him not fully trusting me, I guess. I was rearranging some toys in his cage and he would just follow me where ever I went. I would assume thats a good sign too, right? I am just glad he wasn't interested in attacking my arm! :)

Have you tried putting your finger up near his belly and asking him to "step up" when he is in a friendly mood like that. It sounds like he is taking to you quite nicely and adapting well in his new home.

It's not uncommon to get bit every now and then by your grey, especially when they are in a new home. They are still getting used to everything and it can be a little frigtening for them. I brought Baxter home when he was 12 years old and I got bit quite a bit the first month. Most of that was probably my fault for pushing him too much but after I don't think I've gotten bit since the first month. Just go slow like you are doing but proceed when it looks like progress is being made. It sounds like you are doing a real nice job and not adding more stress to him at this time. I'm sure you 2 will be best of friends in no time at all. Just make sure you go at his pace and not yours. Karma to you for doing such a nice job and taking his feelings into consideration.

Tarah,

NICE! Harley sounds like he's settling in quite well. These are VERY good signs. The fact he is interested in you is a BIG step and quite impressive since he's so new to you.

You are doing the right thing by trying things and watching how he reacts.

When you get a chance please post a picture of Harley and be sure to keep us up to date on your progress.

Tom

I would definatly start leaving his door open most of the time he will probubly just sit on his cage and watch everything for awile. your doing great with him have you tried the step up command with him. if he's regurgatating for you it sounds like he really likes you and wants to be friends so I would say you could probubly hold him try pushing you hand against his tummy just above his legs and say step up and he might just jump onto your hand. if he bites don't react just turn your back and walk away.