NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello Everyone

Dana

My name is Dana & I have 2 monkeys. Rhett is my Congo African Grey and AppleJax is my Vos Eclectus. They are both 4 yrs old & I've had them since they were babies & helped hand feed them both.

We recently moved to Chicago from Denver. Rhett, the Grey has started feather chewing a few weeks after moving here. :( Here are my two kids:

IMG_2175.jpg

IMG_2170.jpg

IMG_2209.jpg

IMG_0778-2.jpg

IMG_2184.jpg

IMG_0985.jpg

Welcome Dana.Beautiful photos.My guess is that your grey has started plucking because of the move.They are very easily upset by change.I am sure he will settle down again once he gets aquainted with his new home.we have a couple of people with eclectus hear so Applejax wont be alone.I love his name.Rhett does not look like he is plucking too bad from the photos.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/04/26 22:49

Hello Dana and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Rhett and yes even AppleJax.

Your birds are beautiful, greyt pictures of both of them and sorry Rhett has started chewing his feathers but that is a common reaction to stress and a move can certainly qualify for that.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We do have several members here with eclectus parrots, Baxtersmom and MrsB to name a couple, both of theirs are rehomed birds but I am sure they would welcome any comments from you since you have had yours from a very young age.

Thanks She & Judy!

Ahhh a pic of the plucking....I should post a more recent one. He looks a little different now, I am sad to say. He has left his down feathers, so he looks like a fluffball mess. He nibbles on the feather in the middle until it falls off. I am glad he is not yanking. Just got new toys at the BirdExpo yesterday, so I hope that helps. He loves this acrylic wheel where you stuff treats & he has to dig them out by spinning the wheel until the slot allows him to extract a tasty treat. And lots of shredding stuff.

The vet saw some new shoots growing, so hopefully he will allow his new "petals" to grow in fully.

You need to provide him with some more foraging opportunities to keep him busy so as to keep his focus off his feathers and do provide him with lots of stuff to shred. Does he like chewing wood? Some plain blocks of wood could keep him busy for quite a while.

Feel free to post a more recent pic of him, we have seen the bad and the ugly before but underneath they are still the adorable little buggers we fell in love with, you gotta love them.

Hi Dana, I am so jealous you have the two birds I want. I already have my grey but I would love to have a female Eclectus. I just have to find one!!!! Rhett and Applejax, love their names, are both very handsome. Can't wait to hear more about them. Welcome to the family!!!!

Hello Dana, welcome to the forum. Love the pictures of your two babies- they are adorable.

I'm sure as the others have mentioned, the feather chewing was brought on by the stress of your move. Hopefully given some time to adjust to his new environment and new toys to keep him busy he'll soon stop the behavior. :)

Thanks for the warm welcome.

Here are a couple pics from earlier today. You can see Rhett's fluff. :(

IMG_2953.jpg

IMG_2946.jpg

And a couple of AppleJax having fun! :) He LOVES Elmo. In fact, he doesn't speak, he only mimicks Elmo that he learned from playing with his Elmo giggle toy.

IMG_2952.jpg

And shower time...

IMG_2973.jpg

Again, thanks for the warm welcome. I look forward to getting to know everyone & your monkeys!<br><br>Post edited by: Dana, at: 2009/04/27 05:20

Welcome Dana, Rhett and AppleJax!!

It's GreYt having you here.

Those are two beautiful Parrots you have there, regardless of the unfortunate feather plucking Rhett has began since the move.

Hopefully this will be a temporary episode since he has no previous history of plucking. The Move must have really stressed him out.

Looking forward to hearing more from you and thanks for posting these photos. :-)

Pretty bird I love Elkies mabie one day I'll have one. I have an Amazon that I rescued quite a few years ago and when I got her her name was Apple jax I changed it to Fergie Yours and mine are the only 2 birds I've ever met with that name. welcome I look forward to hearing more from you about your birds. I;m sorry to hear your Grey started plucking. hopfully we can help you with this issue.