NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Oil Diffuser?

Dana

Yesterday, I went to the TASC Midwest Bird expo in Wheaton, IL (DuPage County Fairgrounds) and a woman was there selling oils and the option to order a diffuser through here from Young Living.

I didn't buy anything, but with it being a humidifier and therapy grade oils, is this beneficial? I am not looking for magical health cures, but the lavender smelled great & may have a de-stressing advantage. Plus, humidifier.

I don't burn any candles of course, but I wonder if this is safe to use.

Thanks!

~Dana

Any oil product that has a perfume smell should be considered dangerous to birds.

Diffusers are used for one reason-- therapeutic grade essential oils properly nebulized have medical and soothing benefits. It's the inhaling of pure essential oils, gently diffused into the air that give the healing effect For people,nebulizing diffusers is far better to heat diffusers, fan diffusers, reed diffusers and candles. Now if you want to get the humidifier and use it without any oils, there should be no problems.

In general, they're used for people who have breathing problems whichmeans that a bird will also inhale it.

I was interested in this product because I was told it would be safe for birds....it smells good and I thought the Lavender would be soothing for my grey who has started chewing some feathers after I moved to Chicago in March 2009.

I don't have any breathing issues, but I thought this would be nice to have - of course only if safe for birds. I thought it would be nice to have a nice smelling home, safe for birds, and de-stress my grey.

So, would therapeutic grade oil diffuser be safe or not? I can't tell from your answer...

This is what she was selling and said it was totally safe for birds. I know perfume is not, but what do you think about this?

http://www.youngliving.us/pdfs/PIP_Ultrasonic_Diffuser.pdf

Have you ever given any thought to the fact that your grey may have started chewing some feathers BECAUSE of the move? Greys are very sensitive to change and that is a major change for a grey.

I did not see any reference in the link provided that said it was safe for birds.

Thanks for the replies :)

I know he is chewing because of the move. But, now that we've moved here, I am not sure what else I can do. I took him to the vet yesterday for check up & CBC. His fecal sample came back great - all good signs & nothing derogatory. I am waiting on blood results just to rule out anything organ related.

The diet is good, tons of toys with plenty of things to shred, cartoons on while I am gone....just noisy stompers upstairs, but I move moving into a single family home on June 1st, so that will be gone soon. We are in temp apt housing while I looked for a home with my fiance.

The vet said it seemed behavioral.

But, I'd never take a chance with something that a huge majority would not agree with. I had never heard of it so, I thought I'd ask you guys :)

That shows you really love him and want what is best for him to inquire first before jumping right in, so many times we hear of it afterwards when damage has been done.

A complete vet check is usually the first thing we recommend when there is a problem to rule out anything physical and you have done that so hopefully after you make your final move he will settle in and stop this behavior but time will tell.

We do have some threads here that deal with chewing and/or plucking feathers, just do a search to find them, some may be helpful to you.

"So, would therapeutic grade oil diffuser be safe or not? I can't tell from your answer..."

Therapeutic grade essential oils are good for people to aid in breathing problems. Birds don't need any perfumed oils or other scented oils to relieve stress. If they breathe it in, a problem can occur.

Thanks everyone :) I just posted in the Welcome forum & added Rhett's messy beak to the thread you mentioned, Judy.

I need to get a picture of AppleJax & his messy beak because he "grows" a bready-beard after I make them a fresh batch of bread. :laugh:

I tried with brownies & some how burnt them last weekend. As I was wiping off the stove, I hit the knob bumping up the temp to 450, instead of the 325 it was supposed to be on. Had to throw that pyrex glass dish away. {Emotions-000200B8}

Thanks for clarifying, Dave. I was surprised when the lady said it was safe...she handed me info from this site:

http://www.essentialbird.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=14:-safe-use-of-therapeutic-grade-essential-oils-for-birds&Itemid=35

I thought it was a little strange, but she was someone selling a product & not a bird person boasting about it. I guess I am a little surprised why she'd show up at a bird show selling this thing. Hmmm. :huh:

Thank you for the link. I read it. But, the person is referring to all that stuff as medicines. Your bird isn't sick, just wired right now plus the person says that it's only her opinion concerning the subject here. Better safe than sorry. This is the first time oils have been suggested for birds. Vets don't recommend it and they're the first ones to speak to people and tell them about the extreme sensitivity that a bird's nasal systems have, and when it comes time for a vet to treat a bird with nasal problems be ready to spend the big bucks.

PS--i know how you feel. There's fantastic scented oils I would love to light up. We even have some put away. Some of these smells would bring me right back to 1977. My wife would love to do the same thing but we realize that it's a no no.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/04/26 23:14