NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Hello from Jesse!

ther

Hello All!

I have had birds virtually all of my life. Parakeets, cockatiels, conures, Quaker Parrot, Meyers Parrot, love birds, and a parrotlet!

Jesse is almost 9 months old; she's a she :-P

We have had her since Thanksgiving, and she's a joyous bundle of noise and nosiness. My only issues with her at this point is expanding her diet, and bathing.

She bathes on her own every few weeks; but from what I've read, she should probably be bathing a little more often. She (so far) has not enjoyed the shower (we are going slow with that...maybe she'll catch on specially once the weather gets warm).

She prefers to eat her sunflower seeds (of course!) but eats her pellet food really well too. She eats selectively when it comes to human food. Seems to only eat 3 different things at a time. If she decides to like something else, she'll stop eating one thing that she ate before. Her favorite things in life to eat, are: Dry-Roasted Edamame (soy beans!), carrots, and greenbeans. Sometimes, she'll enjoy a little 'sketti.. but what she loves MOST... is ... gatorade. She will seriously hurt you for a capful of gatorade. OK friends... how bad is gatorade for my girl? I never give her much; but she adores it.

Any thoughts on this?

Nice to be here amongst The Monochrome Parrot Crowd!

ther

Hello Ther and welcome to the family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Jesse.

STOP with the gatorade, it is loaded with added salt and she does not need that, anything with added salt is a no no for greys.

Have you tried offering her the vegetables prepared different ways? Try raw, cooked, mashed, sliced or whatever ways you fix them, some greys prefer theirs a certain way over another.

You need to cut back on the seeds and offer more vegetables, some fruits, grains, legumes and some pastas and rices. My Josey likes spaghetti or any kind of pasta too and most any rice she well go after.

I assume this is your first grey but you have had many other kinds of birds but you are finding out that a grey is unlike any other parrot, they have many needs and require daily interaction from their human flock members to be healthy and well and well adjusted.

You really should try to bathe Jesse twice a week, either by taking her into the shower, the sink or by spraying her down with water then finishing her off with aloe vera juice, we get that at Walmart in the pharmacy department. It makes the feathers softer and their skin more supple to reduce itching, especially helpful when they are going thru a molt.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We absolutely adore pictures here so if you have some of Jesse you would share with us we would love that.

Thanks for the many good suggestions! You know, she just doesn't like mashed up foods, OR foods that are in the same bowl with each other (I work with autistic children, so this not only cracks me up; I totally understand it!). Still, we expose her to all kinds of foods, and wait for her to try them. If we are home, she is out of her cage and visiting with us all. If it's a pretty day, her cage is outside on the deck so she can talk to her outside cousins, too. She's is a complete member of the family. Now that the weather is nicer, we hope to have her travel with us as well. Which brings me to my next question:

What's your favorite kind of travel carrier? Acrylic? Backpack? I'd love to know what you all use!

Thanks! I'll be posting more pictures of her soon...cuz she's all cute and stuff!

Ther. (that's short for Theresa...silly nic my family gave me eons ago!)

Hi Theresa my sisters name is Teresa also only spelt differently I use a harrness for some of my birds that I have harness trained and an adventure pack back pack for the ones that are to old or just refuse to let me come near them with one without tearing me to ribbons:laugh: many members here use harnesses or carriers of sorts to take their birds out welcome I look forward to hearing more about you and your bird soon Pictures please.