NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Sam - Whistle or Talk?

wbaradio

Quick quick question for the forum members... Sam is our only Grey and we have several Cockatiels, a Budgie, and an Indian Rigneck Parakeet. Originally we just had the Cockatiels, who don't talk, but like to whistle tunes. I've taught them theme from "Bridge on the River Kwai (Col. Bogey March)" and "Clementine." When I next adopted the Blue Ringneck named Sky, she was placed in a cage next to the Cockatiels. Low and behold, she's whistling Bridge on the River Kwai and Clementine...no talking! I heard that certain birds tend to whistle rather than talk as it's easier.

So, my question for the group, if I put Sam in close proximity to the other birds will he tend to whistle instead of talk or will he tend to listen to us more than other birds? I much rather he talk than whistle songs. Since they're Austrailian by origin, I figure next up for the Cockatiels is "Waltzing Matilda"

Britt

Not all greys will talk but most do, if Sam is going to talk then he will talk even if his cage is next to the cockatiels, he might pick up their tunes or whistling. Josey, my grey started out doing the wolf whistle but she ended up talking but she throws that wolf whistle in now and then.

Your Grey will pick up things that 1) excite him 2) sound pleasing to him 3) things that are interesting or beneficial to him.

As long as you use words associated with actions and items when you are doing them in front of your Grey in close proximity, it will learn those things that do one fo the 3 listed above.

My Greys cage is 10 feet away from the Conures screeching, screaming, squawking etc. and he does not imitate any of them. He probably finds them as annoying at times as I do. Thus never has used any of them ;-)

Schrodinger says PLENTY, and has recently started amusing herself by tormenting the cockatiels by mimicking them and waiting for their response. :o)

The only way to be sure to have a talking grey is to get an older one with a vocabulary, however as has been said, most will eventually start to pick up words and use them. Then will come the point where you just can't get them to SHUT UP! :o)

It can be quite amusing at times though, especially when she goes into the telephone routine.

This is all very true My birds all talk some also scream in the morning when the sun comes up My Amazon and Macaw scream very loud and Tyco's cage is right next to hers but she doesn't imatate her in fact she tells her to be quiet that enough of that. I think if anything your grey will have every one of your birds talking I had a little cockateil that thought he was an african Grey and said and did everything Tyco did. My Indian ring neck is comeing up with a few words now also but he seems to be learning them more from my Amazon than my Grey and he sound just like my zon when he talks.

I have a follow up question to the whistling... and building other words.

For example... Ash started whistling this week. Everytime she whisltes, we run over to her and say "sexy bird."

How do I "flip this around?" How do I work with her to when I say sexy bird... she'll do the whistle?

Right now it seems like SHE'S training ME!! Like... whenever she whistles, I say sexy bird. =P

You can't *flip it around* because it's two entirely different things. If you wanna say those words to your bird when no other sounds are being made, fine. Any words you wanna choose can also be used but won't work as a substitute for anything else.

Over the years, I've told countless people who are buying young birds to NEVER start whistling around or to an CAG on a steady basis because in the parrot world they're probably the most natural whistlers around with a big variety of whistles, some being very melodic. That's one reason why so many people start to hear a grey do a wolf whistle with no lessons. They need no stimulation and as they get older, the whistling will be heard more and more. They will start whistling when they hear it on a TV or radio or from other people etc.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/04/24 22:52

Thanks for clarifying that up for me Dave.

For future reference... how do you link a word to a cue?

I read up on the "teacher/pupil" method... but what if Ash said something on her own without training, how do I encourage it?

For example... if one day, she decides to say "Ash"... how do I link it to a cue? Like... "what is your name?"

Thanks for your help!