NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

CAGs and children

tiombe

Hello:

My husband has thus far posted a few questions on this forum, and you have all be very helpful with your responses and suggestions. I hope we can now get your advice on the following query we have:

Our CAG, Tiombe, has now been a part of lives for about 2 months, even though he is actually about 6 months old now. He's slowly getting used to his new environment, and we've been advised by CAG owners to make sure that in getting to know us, we should try to pet him and play with him together. Although he's taken a bit more to my husband (who has been with him longer as i was out of the country when he brought this new family member home), he's still slowly getting used to me and we think that in a few months, he'll be perfectly comfortable with both of us.

However, in seeing how long it has taken Tiombe to get used to us, we're getting a little apprehensive about the idea of having children and raising them around Tiombe. Does anyone have any experience with 'introducing' children into their family after their CAG has been with them for some time? We'd really appreciate hearing any experiences you may have with this.

Hi there.. You shouldn't have any problems with children and your Grey.. After all, the children are not gonna use your Grey as a play toy.. and your Grey will grow accustomed to seeing the children everyday.. I really don't think you are gonna have any problems at all..

Guest Monique

Our first Grey was very upset when our last daughter was born and started plucking all of her feathers out. We never did get her to stop plucking :(. I can't guarantee that is why she was plucking but I am 99.999999% certain that is what started it.

Having said this - I would definitely not hold off on children or rehome a Grey due to planned children. Whatever happens you just make the best of it. AND this Grey was our first bird and we did not have the Internet then as you couldn't get it like you do today so we didn't have near the support for Q&A or experience....