NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My 5 month African Grey

I'm new at this, my African grey who is 5 months old.

He eats pretty bird in the day and is still hand feed at night. Tonight his dropping looked good but smelled like rotten eggs. That has never happened to me with any of my birds. They were all hand feed. Does anyone know about this?

That can sometimes happen when the consistancy of formula is thinner than normal. Skip the next night formula feeding. Make sure that his other food is available at all times. After doing that watch the droppings for the next 2 days Check for odors and solidity of the droppings during the day. If all goes back to normal, stop the last feeding because it may be interfering with your bird's ability to digest the bird food. Look for bubbles in the droppings. First deposit in the morning should be large and have a similar color to the color of the pellets he's eating. Check each deposit and check for smell. If it stops, it was the formula or the thickness of the formula. You can replace that formula with a small amount of warm oatmeal--1 or 2 tablespoons. He may or may not like it. If the problem persists for more than 2 days, you'll need to visit a vet and you need to bring a sample of the droppings to him.

Thank you. This is my first time on any forum. I have four birds. One Parakeet luigi 5 years old. One African grey Monti 3 1/2 years old, A Macaw Nunzio 2 years old and Houdini Grey 5 months. I have had dogs my whole life. My parents use to breed German Shepard's. My son is alergic to dogs . This is how we got started with birds. I can't imagine life without them. The only thing I find hard is sharing the love. Everyone wants a piece of you lol

Hello Talkalot and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and your flock.

I hope Dave has helped you with your 5 month old grey, he has many years of experience with greys and knows what he is talking about, he is an invaluable resource.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do not hesitate to ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We love pictures here so if you have some of your flock you would share with us we would love to see them.

Hi, Yes Dave was very helpful. I hope I didn't sound rude to you earlier. I just didn't know who was talking to who in that little box lol. I do have pictures but they are on my Mac. My family bought it for me for Christmas ,thinking I would like it so I can Talk with my son away at college face to face. I do like it for that, but I still sneak down stairs and use the pc. I will post pictures as sonn as possible.