NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Negativity towards Greys

LunaBaby

Hi there! First I'd like to say I am new to this forum and a proud new CAG owner :woohoo:

Although I've only had Luna for a few days now I'm soo in love! She's amazing and everything I could ask for.. My reason for this post is because I have done alot of bragging recently, telling everyone in sight about my new baby. I've noticed ALOT of negativity towards Greys and I was wondering if many of you have experienced this.

"African Greys are soo tempermental!" or "They can be so nasty" or "Good luck trying to keep them socialized with many people, you may be asking too much". Though I've never had a Grey, I've been around birds for quite some time and had taken in a friend's Amazon for a year and a half. I've been doing my homework and knew what I was getting myself into prior to taking Luna home. Why must people be so negative??!! ANY parrot has the potential to show negative behavior but with alot of love and the proper care I am confident that my baby will stay just as amazing as she is now.

Sorry for the long rant.. I'm just wondering if any of you have experienced a similar response.

By the way, I love this forum!! You all love your Birds do much and that's so awesome!

-Taylor

Welcome to the family.. It's good to have you and thanks for joining..

First things first.. African Greys are the most sort after parrots there are.. The African Grey wins every "best bird" poll ever done.. The Grey is the most intelligent of all parrots..

All thing being equal, I would much prefer a Grey over say an Amazon.. and I have had a Yellow Nape.. Greys need to be properly socialized.. Yes.. but once that's done you will have no problem with them. My boy..Ceasar is friendly with everyone in the family. Will go to anyone that comes in the house.. after a few minutes or course.. Don't scream, act bad, nasty or anything like that.. He is the best pet I have ever had... Just an absolute sweetheart.. I have NEVER once been bitten by him....

So that being said.. I think some of the negativity is from Jealousy.

I am sure some of your family members here will chime in on this subject.. Don't worry, you purchased the best friend you will ever have..

Welcome LunaBaby and I am so glad you joined the ranks of grey owners. I too have heard some of those comments but I attribute it to jealousy. They would probably like to own one but don't want the mess and noise so they try to bring on negativity to explain why they don't have one. Also some of it is factual but it depends on the individual bird, some are tempermental, nasty or one person birds but it doesn't speak for all of them. Each one is unique and has it's own personality but a few have been like you heard so all are labeled that way. I would ignore those comments and enjoy your bird, thats why you got it anyway wasn't it.

I look forward to hearing more about Luna and her personality.

I really like that name Luna.:)

Thank to the both of you =) I have no doubt that I made the best decision by making her a member of the family. Like I said she's amazing. Tomorrow is her Birthday.. she'll be 4 months! Thanks again and I look forward to future posts :P

Unfortantly all those things can be true. If the bird is in the wrong hands. But since you are here that has got to mean your bird is in the right hands and youll have a sweet well behaved bird for the most part. lol Welcome to the world of greys.

Yea I think it's really neat that Greys can speak so well however it's not the characteristic that sold me on the Grey. I honestly would be extremely happy with Luna if she never spoke a single word as long as shes happy and healthy and loves me as much as I do her :) If she does speak, it's an added bonus!

As for her diet.. the woman I got her from weaned her off of baby food onto SEEDS! why? I have no idea. Sooo I'm in the process of weaning her off of seeds and onto pellets. She will eat a few of them.. it's a start. She's a dunker so Ive showed her how I dunk the pellets in water and 'ate' them which always makes her want to try. She's so smart! We've also playe dthe game of "Let's forage for pellet!" in which we pick pellets up off the ground. I also have had plenty of luck giving her fresh fruits and veggies.. she definitely loves those!

Who did you get your grey from, a breeder? I can't believe she weaned her onto seeds. Anyone who knows these birds ought to know better than that. You can get her off those but it will be a gradual process. Glad she is eating fresh veggies. She's well on her way to healthier eating thanks to you.:)

Well she's not really a breeder, she apparently purchased several baby birds from a breeder that only breeds but doesn't hand raise.. she hand raises them and sells them. I wasn't planning to get a bird from her however a friend of mine was her neighbor and thought I should take a look. I fell in love =/.