NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

full spectrum lighting

GorgASS

many of you have said you have full spectrum lighting for your greys...where did you get them? is there anywhere to get them besides the internet? (pet stores, etc.) is it just a special lightbulb or do you need something else? thanks

You can buy them at most lighting store or home depot places like that you can buy the tube kind or there are also full spectrum bulbs some pet stores carry them also. I don't use the full spectrum lights but I do try to get my birds into some natural light at least twice a week for 15 minutes or so. if you live some where its not to cold you can get a cage to put outside even in the winter if its not freezinf you can put them in a sheltered area where some natural light comes in I have a mud room that has screens instead of windows and even in the winter I will put a space heater out there so the birds are sheltered and not to cold it doesn't take allot of light for them to get enough 15 minutes 2 or 3 times a week is plenty.

I built my own, however there are full-spectrum lighting fixtures designed specifically for our Avian friends that you can find online.

If you care to understand what aspects of lighting is actually beneficial to our birds both visually and health wise, please go to this link where I where a three part thread on lighting. The initial part 1 starts about at the bottom of page 1.

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/limitstart/20/african-grey/47809-lighting.html