NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

play stand

jasperk

I am going to get a playstand that is made out of crape mrytle branches, I saw one in Virginia Beach at the BCV convention. A guy in Williamsburg makes them in all sizes, he had one that was on a rolling stand and was close to 5 feet high, I wanted to buy it but had no room in the vehicle to transport it home. But he is coming to our bird fair in June so I told him to bring me one just like it and I would buy it. It had 2 cups for food and water and hooks all over to hang toys on, I think Josey would love it once she got used to it.

I bought this playstand for Dorian in October. Alas, he's not a big fan. The grey metal frame is an inch square and hard to grip and climb on. I know he's meant to climb on the wood dowels and ladders all over this stand, but for reasons known only to him these are avoided like the plague. I wrapped much of the frame with sisal rope but this didn't do the trick for him either. I'll try vet wrap next, just waiting for it to go on sale at our farm co-op.

I had it attached to his cage with a rope perch and he did get to the point where he would go to the bowl for a walnut or climb to the top dowel and sit there, as it is the highest point. I had to take the top hanger for toys off because of low ceilings here. After he'd climbed onto it of his own free will a few times I moved it into my living room with the radical idea that maybe, for the first time since I got him, I could spend an evening with him in there watching the big tv instead of the 13" one in here. Well, after I moved it and took him in there he reacted as if he'd never seen the thing before in his life, and he wouldn't go anywhere near it. So now I roll it back into his room and do the rope bridge thing again (sigh).

I suspect this says more about my DohDoh than it does about the playstand. Just thought I'd share my experience. This whole experience does not bode well for the new, huge, cage I just bought him. Might be Christmas before I convice him IT won't kill him:dry: