NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

SHOCK

SLIXDIX

TWO WEEKS AGO I CLIPPED MY GREYS BEAK,BUT SADLY I CUT A LITTLE TOO MUCH OFF AND MADE IT BLEED.I PUT ON SOME FERIC CHLORIDE WHICH I HAD OBTAINED FROM THE VET TO STOP THE BLEEDING WHICH IT DID.MY CAUSE FOR CONCERN IS THAT "CHARLIE" (WHO HAS A VOCABULARY OF OVER A HUNDRED WORDS) HAS NOT SPOKEN ANOTHER WORD SINCE, HE IS EATING FAIRLY WELL,BUT ISNT VERY ACTIVE.CAN ANYONE GIVE ME ANY ADVICE AND REASURANCE PLEASE.

Yikes.. sorry to hear about this. Have you done this before or is this the first time? Something like this I would never do because I don't want to be viewed as the "bad guy" in the birds mind.. Let the vet be the bad guy know what I mean....

I am sure charlie will come around after the trama of all this wears off.. I wouldn't worry to much about it.. But DONT do that again.. Let the "bad guy" do that.. Know what I mean..

Thanks for joining our family.. We are happy to have you here... keep us posted on what happens with charile.

THANKS FOR THE REASURANCE CEASARSDAD AND QUICK REPLY. CHARLIE IS FOURTEEN YEARS OLD, AND THE VET CLIPPED HIM FOR THE FIRST TIME ONLY.THIS TIME I DID IT WAS MORE STRESSFUL I THINK. I WILL LET YOU KNOW HOW HE GETS ON, HE IS VERY DEAR TO ME. RON.

Ouch.. and welcome to the forum.

Charlie should be fine in a little time as the shock wears off and the beak re-grows. Is his eating still pretty normal?

I agree with CD, if you are going to trim the beak have another do it unless you are really experienced. I guess it depends on the bird and their activity, but we have never trimmed our Amazon's beak in over 36 years and have not trimmed Kips beak at all since having her. I find they generally will keep the beak in good condition through their own grinding and assuming you offer plenty of wood etc for them to "work" on. We do trim the nails from time to time. I have found generally beak/nail trimming is done simply for us humans to have an "easier" time handling the birds. Put it this way, in the wild no one trims either, they take care of it themselves. Granted having them as pets in captivity is not the same as out in the wild, but I think the need to trim is overrated and often results in the birds being unstable on perches and not able to crack nuts/shells etc as well as they should. So if trimming do it minimally wth caution.

Good luck, I am sure this will turn out fine with a little time. Keep us posted on the status. B)

I am just going to say what everyone is thinking. WHY ON EARTH WOULD YOU DO THAT TO YOUR BABY!!!!!!!!!!???????

I could never do that to Roxy! I brought her up well enough to not even nibble on anyones finger. She has never bitten anyone.

My advice, tell the bird you are sorry and will never do it again. The poor thing feels like it lost a part of it, litteraly. Their beeks, wings and feathers are what they are proud of, if we clip them, we are taking away what they are boasting about.

im probably going to be critisezed over this, but hey, what is a forum without honest oppinions?

Cheers.....

Nikko's vet "shaped" her beak a bit when we visited. He used a dremel first, and then kind of "shaved" off a few flakes. I don't think it was very traumatic for her, and her beak looks very nice. It's nothing I would ever want to do myself though. However, when I was a kid, I had a parakeet whose beak grew out of control. It would eventually poke into his chest, so I used to clip the end of it off, and never had a problem. Hope Charlie is feeling better soon!

Wing clipping is a very personal issue, some for it and some against it. I'm for it for safety reasons. Without clipped wings, Nikko might decide to fly up into the ceiling fans, or fly into the kitchen and land on a hot stove. I don't want her dropping like a rock either though. She has 3 feathers clipped on each wing which keeps her from gaining altitude, but lets her glide when she does take off.

Well Max is only 4 months and couple of days old, I got him one of those calcium type perch they are also good for trimming there nails and beaks. He only gets on this perch when he wants to reach his fav food toy. And I can feel that the perch is helping because his nails arn't so sharp anymore.