NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gil Thinks He's a Baby

Parrotdise

I was giving Phoenix her nightly formula and Gil was really interested,so I offered him a bit off a spoon. At least I meant for it to just be a bite. By the time we were done he was sitting on my lap begging and flapping and had eaten more handfeeding formula then anything else I've seen him eat.

I'm sure it's not hurting anything and he can use something besides the seeds that he craves so much. Maybe it'll even help our bonding process

Now to convince the husband that both the big birds NEED formula nightly,he's gonna love that

I am sure it will help with bonding and is packed with nutriants.Why not use this to to tempt him to eat some healthy food.Let him see the baby try fruit and veg and he may well wish to try that as well.

My vet says it is a good idea to occasionally spoon feed or syringe feed your bird even when they are full grown, because it makes it easier if you ever have to medicate them. Besides, Gil is YOUR baby, no matter how old he is! :)

Ithink its also a good idea I offer all my birds a little formula once in awhile I always have it in the house because of my Green cheeked conure. Tyco bit his beak off just after I got Tyco right through the cage bars. It never grew back much and even though he has learned how to eat on his own again I like to make sure he's getting enough so I give him 1 hand feeding a day. When I had to feed him the other birds got interested and will now ask when they want some formula so I give them a little Tyco won't take it from a shringe but she does like it from a spoon I guess it all depends on how they where fed as babies.

We're offering Gil everything that the other two get,veggies,legumes,grains,pasta,fruit,sprouts. So far he's tried one bite of pasta,and he'll eat apples,oranges,and grapes.

Storm_2007 wrote:

only thing that bothers me is this line " he can use something besides the seeds that he craves so ". do you feed gil other things like veggies fruit etc?

Jeff

We're getting there. He's still getting the formula,but tonight he tried a couple sprouted quinoa and now he's enjoying a nutriberry. He is very interested in anything I'm eating,so I've been eating my meals next to his cage,because I'm not sure it's safe to have him at the table with 3 youngish children. I think tomorrow I'll have a field greens salad and see what he thinks. He also very much likes cheerios<br><br>Post edited by: Parrotdise, at: 2009/04/17 06:01

Our female who is 13 months old LOVES to get formula every once and a while. She gets so excited, she drives her beak into the spoon until she has formula almost to her eyes and gobbles away. Then she has the nerve to grumble when we want to clean her up :P

Now the boy who is about 9 months old will take a few little bites and then he is done.