NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My grey is breathing weird :(

loshcosh

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Thanks so much everyone...Eli is sitting here chewing on my foot as I type :)

He really hates the medicine and it is quite a chore to give it to him. When I called back this morning to talk to the vet some more (or should I say vets assistant) she called it aspergillis? I've heard of it but I don't know much about it. Is this as bad as I think it is?

From what your Vet says, it looks like he spotted the illness in the beginning stages. As I said earlier, it may be a lung problem but I would actually call and ask to speak to the vet ( not the tech ) and let him name off the illness. He never mentioned that word to you.

what I don't understand is when I took Eli to the vets in January for this same thing, they ran all the same tests and they all came back fine...even the aspergillosis test was negative. The vet put him on fluconazole and an antibiotic for a month. Eli was back to normal. He was fine until this last weekend when the hard breathing started again but he was breathing normal within 2 days. Yesterday when I took him back to the vets with the same symptoms, after looking at the xrays, the vet told me he aspirated on food when he was being handfed (which stopped over 6 months ago) and that he had fungus everywhere.If it was from being handfed when he was a baby, why didn't it show up in the xrays 2 months ago when I took him and why did all the tests come back normal?? I am just so confused!

We're not vets here. No one can really or should they answer the specific things you wanna know about. Some people get a certain diagnosis from one vet and than decide to visit another vet for a second opinion. When a bird has after effects concerning removal of air or fluid from a body cavity by suction

3. Med

a. the sucking of fluid or foreign matter into the air passages of the body

b. the removal of air or fluid from the body by suction

, those effects show up quickly. usually a tube or other device is used to remove something that's lodged in the lower part of the crop or the upper area of the digestive tract. We can't tell you why the different results of X-rays came back the way they did.

I can see you're getting worked up and confused so my opinion is to spend the extra money and visit another vet. If your bird has anything serious going on, at least he's still in the early stages of the problem and will be able to easily visit another vet.

Aspiration is the sucking of fluid or foreign matter into the air passages of the body. The treat is quick. The air, fluid or foreign matter is immediately sucked out. Personally, I've never heard aspiration causing spots or growths on lungs which is another reason to get a second professional opinion.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/04/15 21:49

That's okay...I don't expect you guys to answer my questions...I'm just venting :)

I've been reading up on the aspergillosis and except for the weird breathing, Eli doesn't have any other symptoms. He's eating normal, drinking normal, as active and playful as ever and talking and chattering up a storm :)

Quick question...is it okay to put a bird that possibly has asperigillos in a warm, humid brooder to help with the breathing. I can't seem to get the vet to take my calls and no one is getting back to me regarding this. Oh...I found another avian vet but unfortunately his office is closed today so I will be calling him tomorrow.

I would ask the vet before trying extra humidity and heat. It could worsen the problem by increasing the growth of the spores if it is Aspergillosis.

Normally if breathing treatments are used, they are a medicated treatment in a special vaporizor at the vet office.

Things aren't looking real great with Eli. After a horrible night, which I didn't expect him to survive, he was still hanging in this morning. After multiple (at least 8) phone calls to vets, I finally found someone who would see him and told me to bring him in NOW! After multiple calls to my regular vet for Elis medical records (which my other vets office STILL hasn't sent) the new vet was wonderful. He rehydrated Eli, gave him a shot to help with his breathing and gave him a shot of antibiotics. He also told me to call him this afternoon to let him know how Eli was doing. The outcome for Eli still looks bleak but this vet made him comfortable and he is breathing much better now. No more gasping. I have him in his hospital unit and he is getting oxygen (my daughter has a trach and my house is full of equipment to help with her breathing when she needs it) so please keep the positive thoughts coming.

Thanks all :)

By yesterday afternoon Eli took his first drink of water and nibbled on some food. His breathing is still easy and I put him in his cage for a 1/2 hour, as that is where all his toys are, and he sat on his branch and preened himself :) He is starting to eat some so that makes me feel better. I'm waiting to hear back from the new vet as to what the next course of action is. I am just so happy to see him not struggling anymore :)

Just got off the phone with the new vet . He is still waiting for the records and test results from the old vet to see what is actually wrong before he makes any major changes if any. I was so shocked when he said if there were any problems tomorrow (sunday)to give his answering service a call and they would get in touch with him and he would call me. Now that kind of service doesn't happen much anymore! Anyway...I am totally thrilled with the new vets dedication to his patients. And even through all of this, I am still aware that things can go either way with Eli so the new vet is not giving me false hope, but at least I feel like someone besides me is hoping for the best :)