NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

finally brought him home

md2020

I brought home my 8 wk CAG, now 9 1/2 weeks. He is weaning, but I still hand feed him 2-3x per day. Due to vacation, etc he has been spending a few days w me and a few w breeder. He eats well and is growing. He likes to be pet and held, but other than that he is not very playful or active. He chews on things, but likes to sleep for a while after meals. He gets scared easily, particularly when out of his cage but is comforted by being held. Does this sound like normal behavior?Again I keep comparing to his cage mate the caique who was very active and curious.

I would say this is normal, he is young yet and is still a baby so he wants to be comforted. He will be more independent as he gets older. I did not bring my grey home until she was 4 months old after being fully weaned. But she liked to be cuddled some and still likes a little at night before going to bed, she is a year old now. He will be more playful as he grows and gets more confident. I'm glad you finally got your baby home, I know I could hardly wait for mine after I decided to get her. The wait is unbearable. Keep us informed of the progress.:)

Yes, I agree with Judy.. All sounds normal. You can't compare your Grey with your Caique.. Although as your Grey ages he will be more active.. Just not as active as that Caique.

What I have been seeing lately are breeders that are allowing their babies to go home in what I would consider too young an age.. Like Judy, I didn't get Ceasar home until he was 20 weeks and completely weaned. There is just so much that can go wrong when they are this young and in the hands of a non expert that it is really surprising that these breeders are pushing these babies out so soon...

And I am not suggesting that you're doing anything wrong here...

Guest briansmum

congrats on getting your baby home! everything sounds normal to me. Brian was 13 weeks when i got him home he was partially weaned and was exactly the same as you describe your baby to be. liked to be held and have lots of cuddles, was timid around new things and liked to take naps after feeds.

doesn't last long though, he's just over 4 months now and in the last month has come on in leaps and bounds! he will now only have one small nap in the afternoon and is in anything and everything he can get his beak into. he only sits still 2 or 3 times a day! he's a totally crazy bird!

have all the fun in the world and cherish every moment!

I agree with Cd, although Talon was 8 1/2 weeks when we picked her up at the airport. I think it was very young for her to have gone thru such an event and change of environment. She had a rough 2 weeks when she first came. She was weaned, but longed for the only home she had ever known. It was very sad to see, but she adjusted well, and is a very happy bird now.

Like CD mentioned, my breeder will not allow my baby to come home until he is 100% competent eating solo and has 1 full week of self sustained eating. This will likely turn into about 18 weeks from hatch to home for me.

Just watch out, when you hand feed a baby yourself you become mommy. Thats all well and good but do you know anyone that married their mom when they grew up? Not likely, in 1-2 years your bird may choose another person to be their life mate upon reaching sexual maturity. Just be prepared if it happens!!

Nonetheless, grats on the new family member! I hope everything goes smoothly for you both. I've commonly heard Amazon and Caique owners typically have better Grey's because the curiosity and playfulness from those birds is easily transfered from bird to owner, to Grey.. which is good!

I am happy to hear all the responses... I have to wait until Sept to bring my baby home ... He has to be fully weened for two weeks ... Its very hard to wait this long, I have everything waiting but the food .. From every thing I have read I think its better to wait for him... Did you all see his picture.... awwwwww:kiss:

I bring my TAG home This Saturday (6-23-07) and he will be almost 6 months old. It ok him longer to wean than the breeder and I expected, but that’s ok.

As for playfulness and jumpiness, the grey’s are young and need time to mature and get used to the new home. I guess its kind of like us starting school in a different state. It takes time to adjust.

Thanks all for the responses and it sounds like the baby is pretty normal and may become more outgoing with age. I am aware of the notion of not selling unweaned birds. It is probably not good widespread practice. However, I read three books on handraising birds, I studied bird anatomy, I fed him under supervision of the breeder multiple times, and I take him back to the breeder now and again. Not conventional, but my hope is that he will be more likely to be touchable as an adult.

• 2 weeks later...

In response to Breeders letting Bird (in our Case Parrots) Babies go to their owner before they are fully weaned......

They passed a law here in California, that a breeder or Pet Store, cannot let a bird go to it's future home until it is fully weaned and maintaining it's weight and hydration on it's own.

I want my CAG NOW, but I would rather it be in the trustful hands of the Breeder that knows what to do and how to do it with out endangering the young.

- Dan