NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

monkey nuts

Guest briansmum

Guest briansmum

LOL i don't know why in some places they are called monkey nuts, it says it on the bag i buy, i did say though you'd know them when you saw them LOL. as i said before i only buy human grade ones, from my local Adsa supermarket (adsa is a british supermarket owned by Wal-mart) they come sealed in a plastic bag. i wouldnt dream of giving him one from a bird mix that come in net type bags.

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

Guest Lidia

mandiskem wrote:

i have a monkey nut toy in buddy cage

u hang it in the cage and fill it with monkey nuts through the holes apparently greys love doin it to get nuts out .

Where did you get this toy? Can you post a photo of it? It sounds like just the sort of thing Joshua would like. Karma to you!

:kiss:

• 5 months later...
  • 2 months later...

so as long as there edible for humans there not toxic... I will only buy monkey nuts that have been roasted for human consumption - is this OK then - in moderation though as apparently there equivilant of bugar & chips to us... so there fattening right?

xxx EMMA & SENSEI.....xxx

lovemyGreys wrote:

Always buy human grade nuts for your grey, yes they are fattening but they need that in their diet,personally mine only have a few nuts each per day so yes in moderation ;)

Good thats fab as I was really worried that I had been giving him something that perhaps he shouldnt be having - plus he loves them hehehe.. Just worried that he is not going to get all his vitamins & calcium needed - as he is so so so fussy.... any ideas....? Should I just get some supplements & feed him via syringe.....? xxxxx

If he eats a varied amount of veg & fruit there shouldnt be a need for supplements,if he is not eating well then you can get a vitamin supplement to sprinkle on his food twice a week & a calcium supplement to add to his drinking water.Always check the directions as a guide to feeding,but if possible encourage him to eat healthy & you wont neeed the supplements.

Dark leafy greened vegetables have a high calcium level and should be offered alongside a pelleted/ seed based diet.Foods included in this group are..

Beet Greens

Broccoli Leaves

Broccoli Stem

Cabbage (outside green leaves)

Celery

Chard

Chinese Cabbage

Collards (cooked)

Dandelion Greens

Endive

Kale

Kohlrabi

Lettuce Dark Green Leaf

Mustard Greens

If he will eat any of the above you wont need to feed a calcium supplement & if he eats a variety of fruit alongside the veggies every day then he should get all the vitamins he needs.

Please have a read through the information here in the bird food room ;)

Guest Skuffy

Looks like some 1 has the same book as me:woohoo:

Can any-1 let me know Can Max have Mushrooms..? The kind we eat with eggs and bacon..

Guest Skuffy

Max loves Monkey Nuts..I think its the mess he makes.He drops the nuts and climbs down later to get them....If they eat the shell its ok,they can eat all the Shell and Nut..won't harm him..{Nature-00020095}

There is a debate to whether Mushrooms are safe or not.From what i know i would advise against feeding mushrooms, Birds livers are extra sensitive so even GOOD and OK Mushrooms could cause a birds liver enzymes to go high or low .

Personally i dont feed monkey nuts, or nuts in the shell due to the risk of Two known strains of fungi, Aspergillus flavus and Aspergillus parasiticus, produce aflatoxins, which can be found in peanuts, peanuts in the shell and peanut products.Here is a link for you to have a read through...

http://www.greyforums.net/forums/bird-food/29553-aspergillosis.html#29553

Guest Skuffy

As for mushrooms,hes not having anymore.Only gave him the 1 other day see what he would do.He ate abit chucked the rest:dry:

• 2 years later...