NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

should i clip his wings/nails?

aglover09

HELLO EVERYONE,

I HAVE A 10YR OLD CAG NAMED BOO BIRD. I DONT KNOW IF HIS WINGS OR NAILS HAVE EVER BEEN CLIPPED BUT IT REALLY HURTS WHEN HE STEPS UP ON MY HAND OR SHOULDER. I WAS THINKING OF TAKIN HIM TO THE PETSHOP AND HAVIN THE NAILS AND WINGS CLIPPED. WILL THIS BE A BAD THING TO DO?? HIS PREVIOUS OWNER JUST SAID I MIGHT WANNA HAVE HIS BEAK TRIMMED BUT I THINK THAT WOULD BE THE WRONG THING TO DO. LET ME KNOW WHAT YOU THINK ABOUT THE NAILS AND WINGS. HE REALLY DONT TRY TO FLY AROUND THE HOUSE ALOT. JUST OFF HIS PLAYSTAND TO THE FLOOR ONCE IN A GREAT WHILE. IM KINDA NEW TO ALL THIS IVE ONLY HAD HIM 3 MONTHS AND I DONT WANNA CHANGE HIS PERSONALITY. HIS SUCH A SWEET AND LOVING BOY...

I would say to leavehis wings alone if you clip them there is a chance it will be done wrong and your bird will end up plucking or barbering if its a bad clip. as for his nails by all mean I would get them clipped or dremaled I had my bird nails dremeled just a little and it makes all the difference in the world My bird is very heavy and she would hold on so tight I had punctures right through my skin. Please make an apointment with a avian vet todo this most vets only charge around 10 to 15 dollars to trim their nails.

At this point I would leave the wings alone. Afterall, he is 10 years old and I imagine that a wing clip would be pretty traumatizing... especially if he decided to try and fly. He would also probably feel off balance as well.

Do invest in a concrete perch and place it by his water cup so he can use it when he goes to drink. I do not know where you live but if I were you, I would try to locate a veterinarian who specializes in AVIAN medecine and take your parrot there for some nail filing if you notice that the nails are still too sharp after a few weeks of using the concrete perches. Could you post a picture of him so that we can see his beak? It's very important to provide him with all type of wood toys so that he can work excercise and trim his beak through play.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/04/11 22:20<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/04/11 22:20

Hello Aglover09.

I agree with the others about wing clipping. It is not a good thing. Nevertheless you will have to take care with open doors and windows. As for his nails, greys would usually wear them down climbing around in tree branches. I have a multi-branched perch made of apple wood as well as concrete perches for my Misty to climb around. He also chews on the wood and that keeps his beak in trim. From your other post I see you have already discovered that your BooBird likes to chew wood. This is quite natural and should be encouraged but give him his own things to chew so he will feel less of a need to chew your furniture.

Don't give him wood that has been treated with fungicides. Only natural clean wood. Fruit wood is safest. Perhaps have an avian vet give a light nail trim but get him a good climbing perch to help maintain them. I would never trust a pet shop person to go anywhere near my bird. You don't know what else they have been handling and they don't have the proper training. I am very picky about vets as well!

Have you posted any pics of BooBird yet?

One other thing.. please don't post in caps it is seen by some as the same as shouting :ohmy:

Steve n Misty

HELLO I LIVE IN PENSACOLA FL AND HE HAS A CONCRETE PERCH, AND MANY WOOD TOYS AND ALSO I GOT SOME REALLY NICE CLEAN WOOD NEAR THE OCEAN HERE THAT HE LOVES TO CHEW ON. I DONT KNOW HOW TO UPLOAD A PIC HERE??? IS IT FAIRLY EADY?? AND THANKS EVERYONE FOR YOUR INFO. I DONT THINK I WILL CLIP THE WINGS BUT THE NAILS ARE REALLY PAINFUL SO MOST LIKLY WILL GO TO THE VET MONDAY AND HAVE THEM DONE.

The others have all given great advice. Since the concrete perches aren't working, you can have the tips files flat on the talons, it doesn't take much to knock those sharp pin like points off. We have to file our greys off every once in a while. The cement perch is not used enough to keep those tips off either for him.

In Regards the wing clipping or beak grinding, you've made very wise decisions in NOT having either of them done.

Looking forward to hearing how this goes and seeing those photos once you have it all sorted out. :-)