NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

When is the end of sexual maturity in a grey

GloriaS

I have recently rescued a twelve year grey named Timmy. He is very sweet, but sometimes can be very aggressive and I need advice. His last owner, who got him from an unscrupulous breeder, who was only concerned about lining his pockets and failed to educate his last owner as to the perils of parrots entering sexual maturity. He screams and

Sure, they are great when they are young and easy to manipulate and control, but once their hormones kick into overdrive - look out, because you are in for a wild ride. His last owner couldn't handle him anymore and she couldn't find a rescue to take him, because they are all filled to capacity.

He is now my responsibility so I am going to keep him aggressive hormonal behavior and all, but I need to know if and when the end of an African Grey's sexual maturity can be expected.

Thanks, Gloria

I'm not sure I understand what you said about the bird's original living situation with the original owner ( breeder). If the bird was originally a breeding bird, then aggressive behavior isn't unusual. Breeding greys are well known to be aggressive to people, but you said that your bird is very sweet and periodically becomes aggressive during a hormonal period which is also normal. That hormonal period usually lasts about 1 to 2 months for a male and longer for a female. Then the bird reverts back to it's normal self.

He screams-- well, many parrots can pick up that habit and many parrots may yell during a hormonal period. They can also pick up that habit when living with other people. Many parrots can do other things when they're in a hormonal period but not scream or they can scream. Other things they may do may be equally annoying just as screaming is but many parrots can pick up those habits and it won't have anything to do with a hormonal period.

"""""""" failed to educate his last owner as to the perils of parrots entering sexual maturity. """"""

That may be true but there really isn't much warning that needs to be said about any grey, male or female, concerning a hormonal cycle. The bird simply needs to be left alone because they're are normally short tempered, agitated and don't want the normal amount of interaction with their owners. These hormonal cycles only occur 2, maybe 3 times a year, and that applies to pet greys as well as wild greys.

As far as length of sex life---in the wild, greys will mate 2 or 3 time in one year and that can happen up until the greys are approx 20yrs, give or take 1 yr. By the time they're 30 yrs old, they're usually dead.

Breeders living in a home can bred up to 25 to 30 yrs depending on whether the hens are in prime condition, are healthy, haven't been overbred and have been regularly checked by a vet to see the condition of sex organs.

I personally believe you got a bird who reacts in a certain way when a mating cycle comes and it goes away when the cycle subsides. There's no way to stop the screaming when he's sexually aroused just like there's no way to stop a bird from biting during a sexual cycle ( if he/she is a nipper).

Taking on a previously owned bird usually means that a person is also taking on the bird's past behavior and personality.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/04/11 18:19