NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

quivering chest feathers?

Judenmink

Hello,

I am Jude. Myself and my son Fred have just brought home our baby african grey named Elmo.

He has been in the house for about 3 hours and is settling in really well. He is playing with his toys and climbing around the cage.

We are just wondering what the quivering chest feathers mean? Fred seems to think it is a sign of stress whereas I am pretty sure I read somewhere that is is something all greys do, often when they are at rest and content. Can anyone offer any more information on this?

Jude

Guest briansmum

hi jude, welcome to the forum! and congrats on your new baby, may i just say Elmo is such a sweet name, i love it!

i think the quivering/fluffing of feathers on the chest can mean a few things and stress is likely one of them, but there are a lot of other signs of stress in greys and i don't think climbing about and playing is one of them ;) , so i wouldnt worry. keep and eye on him though. maybe someone else can tell you more

Its like you said,its normal for the chest to quiver like that and I don't think it has anything to do with stress so don't worry about it. Everything is ok if he is playing with his toys and climbing around. Glad he is happy and hope it stays that way but keep us informed as how things go in the coming days, weeks and so forth.B)

A quote from Bobbi Brinker's Book: FOR THE LOVE OF GREYS

The trembling movement of a resting Grey's breast feathers is normal. When the breast feathers are relaxed and slightly fluffed, these very light small feathers may tremble slightly in response to the heart beat and respiration.

So Judy and others are correct. It is normal and has nothing to do with stress. :)

Sometimes people also think a fluffed out quivering bird is showing signs of illness. In the case of my male 'tiel, its because the hen is within sight. He's displaying and puffing himself up, holding his wings slightly away from his body. Your Grey might be trying to look big and representative for his new flock members...

It's interesting your Elmo is already playing with toys after only 3 hour or less. Both my birds took about 2 weeks before they stopped cowering and shivering with fear in the corner of their cage upon coming home, lol.