NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

To Vaccinate or not? Help!

CarolandFamily

Most people didn't get their birds treated until the bird actually got the virus. There was no preventative vaccine available.

A vaccination for polyoma is available. This vaccine is relatively new and can be given as a preventative.

Baby birds may be vaccinated at 40 days of age and boosted two weeks later. They're considered protected two weeks past their second vaccination. Yearly boosters are recommended. This the standard procedure with this new medicine.

Learning whether other bird owners got the vaccine or not shouldn't be how you judge whether to do it. You need to consult your vet and ask him/her for a professional opinion.

Schroeder was vaccinated by his breeder, and it makes me feel a lot better about taking him in to be groomed and just taking him out of the house. That said, african birds are much less likely to get polyoma than australian and new world birds, so it may be ok to hold off. Toss a coin?

Thank you Schrodersjen that makes sense I didn't think of it that was :)

Dave I was not taking a poll about what to do, I am curious as to who has had there birds vacinated and why? I will of course talk to an avian vet thanks for your input.....<br><br>Post edited by: CarolandFamily, at: 2009/04/09 12:50

I think one thing that may influence your opinion in this is whether or not the bird will be exposed to other birds a lot. Do you plan to have him out and about in public or socializing with any other parrots? I would definitely talk to an avian vet as Dave advised for a good opinion on the topic. I personally do not vaccinate my birds but I do not allow any other birds in my house or around them. I'm sure you'll make the right decision for you and Ahjari!

I personally haven't had Emma vaccinated for this particular virus and at the moment I do not intend on having her vaccinated either.

I keep a VERY clean home and the parrot cages, perches, and food cups are washed thoroughly with Oxyfresh every week. The toys are washed if they come in contact with droppings. I do not intend on adding to my 2 parrot flock and both of my parrots have received a clean bill of health after having had a full blood workup with their avian vet. My parrots also do not come in contact with any other parrots/birds.

On that note ...as a baby she did receive some type of vaccine that they have when they are babies.. I don't remember what the name is.