NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

bird biting his feet and feather plucks

lalyrics

can someone help me my bird is biting his feet and plcking his feathers like crazy i only feed him doctor harvey food and i wold like to know how can i treat this holistic naturall when i call vets they say give him haldol please help he is seven years old thanks :S

Oh no, I am sorry to hear that your grey is plucking! When did this behavior start? Has there been any drastic changes in his life?? Did you go to the vet so they can test him?? Do you have any toys in his cage?? A little more detail please.

There's very little in the way of holistic medications on the market for your bird's problem. You said that you called the vet but have you also visited him? If your bird is a plucker who is a high strung, nervous type of bird and he seems to be this way all the time, then that's considered a chronic plucker. In most cases vets will recommend Haldol which has had good results.

Diet--this won't necessarily make your bird's plucking any better but if you're only giving that one type of food, it's a good idea to purchase dark green veggies for all around good health. Fruit is good but it won't do the same as veggies. If you're feeding a few times a day and taking the bowl out after each feeding, keep food in with the bird all day because nervous birds tend to calm down a bit if they have plenty of food around all day.