NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Pre-Vet Jitters

rjhammy

Tomorrow Ash is getting her band removed, microchipped and DNA tested. Her leg band is too tight for her.

I'm so nervous!! Can anyone share their experiences? What to expect? How do I make Ash feel better after the ordeal?

Thanks!!

I can empathize. Last month, Lacey went to the vet for her wellness check and also to have her band removed. I fretted for a week prior to her visit. I knew they would be drawing blood in addition to the stress of the band removal. Her vet gave me the option of sedating her with gas. :unsure: I had mixed feelings about that. But, ultimately, chose to do it. We're so lucky to have a highly recommended and well respected avian vet in our community and I have complete faith in her. After weighing Lacey, they took her in back and she reemerged approx. 20 minutes later on the vets finger and was completely fine. I, on the other hand, had nearly chewed off all of my finger nails while I waited! She was a bit tired when we got home but by the following day she was back to her sweet yet obnoxious, cuddlesome, manipulative, ornery, adorable little feathery self.;)

It is nice not to worry about her getting her band caught anymore!

Okay... so here's the update...

Due to a mix up in the schedule, our vet was not there and we were directed to another place.

We figure we had trekked all the way there, we should check it out.The front office staff asked what we wanted... and we said band removal, microchip and sexing.

Please let me know what you think of her answers...

1. If there is no sore on her leg (which there isn't), we will not remove bands. You are risking breaking the bird's leg if you remove it. You should just learn to live with jewelry.

2. We do not anesthetize. It is a risk to the bird.

3. We do not microchip here. There still isn't a verdict on which type to use and microchipping involves big needles and we don't believe in doing that to the bird.

4. DNA sexing is $150... but it looks like a girl from here.

My boyfriend and I looked at each other and screamed... "RUUUUUUUUUN!"

{Emotions-0002007D}

Can't wait to see our real vet in two weeks!

Sorry but I am not impressed at all.First of bands are not jewelry. They often need to be removed for safety reasons.They can be ill fitting and cause problems,the bird can become caught up in toys or cage leading to tragedy.Microchipping is very safe and yes I believe an anasthetic is best to perform this.Sexing can not be proved without dna.My vet is an avian vet and performed all the precedured you want without any problems. Yes all anasthetic is a risk, as with humans,My vet performed the microchipping while Charlie was anesthetised for a very short time while he was doing some blood tests.He also anesthatised Charlie to remove his band. He always recons it is far less stress for the bird and I trust his judgement. You were right to run.Keep running till you find a vet who you trust.The risk of anasthetic is very low.Far better than a traumatised bird.If band removal is done properly Why would the bird suffer a broken leg,one more reason for anasthetic,the bird will not be squirming while cutters are used.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/04/05 18:36

Wow I don't agree with the person at all!! First of all $150 for sexing?? That is alot! I got my bird DNA'd from avianbiotech.com for $25! And they don't think microchipping is right? Wow, I'm so glad you RAN right outta there, it is much better to wait for your own vet! Good luck and keep us posted!

it cost me 50. for dna sexing and boy am I glad my breeder doesn't band his birds they all come with one attached to the hatch certificate but he doesn't pu them on the birds. that is a far beter way I think. good for you I ould have run as soon as they said that they don't cut bands off legs.

Hi All,

I felt I had hastily put up my response about the other vet clinic... so I wanted to explain.

Everyone is entitled to their opinions about proper care for greys... but the reason I was so upset was because the vet tech made me feel like I was a MONSTER, and I was a horrible person because I wanted to remove Ash's leg band and get a microchip. She also made comments about putting Ash through this "torture" just because I don't want her to wear "jewelry."

First of all, her leg band is very snug and when she's on the floor, she has a weird limp on that leg. I told the vet tech that just because she doesn't currently have a sore doesn't mean she won't get one or she won't injure herself. This is a preventative measure.

Second, for a vet who does not anesthetize at all worries me. I understand that not all birds need it, but it's nice to know it's an option. I mean, what would the vet do with an unruly bird? Force it down to remove the band? No wonder they have concerns with broken legs.

Another perfect example of why it's important to trust your instincts. Your concern about the leg band is completely valid, and your wanting her to get a microchip just means you and your boyfriend are loving and responsible parronts. You don't substitute someone else's judgement for your own just because they're "experts". Ash is lucky to have you.

Another perfect example of why it's important to trust your instincts. Your concern about the leg band is completely valid, and your wanting her to get a microchip just means you and your boyfriend are loving and responsible parronts. You don't substitute someone else's judgement for your own just because they're "experts". Ash is lucky to have you.

Well, I will say it. They are idiots! You did the right thing. I'm glad you knew what to do for Ash as they certainly didn't.

I haven't been involved with larger birds for years and didn't know they will put them under to perform these things and I think it's great. I worked at an avian vet office for a few years a long time ago. We would hold the bird in a towel and someone would hold the leg out and the vet would pray they didn't move while they were cutting off the band. It was always really scary when the birds were freaking out. We also didn't knock them out for labs.

I am taking Ziva to the vet next month for a check up. She doesn't have a band but she will have labs and I am interested in having her chipped. My concern was the big needle. I guess I don't need to worry now.

Let us know what the real vet says. Maybe you should let them know what happened as they might not have any idea what is going on with the other place and won't send people there anymore.