NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Broken tail feathers

Pchela

Hi,

I have a question for the experts!

Willow broke half of her tail feather off when I first got her. It's been about 7 months now. She recently grew in a new tail feather but the others have not come in. I looked and there are still half feathers in her tail. They broke off and have stayed at their half broken state. Somebody told me I need to pull them in order for the new ones to grow. Is this true? I don't want to hurt her and I don't want to damage the folacle.

Thanks.

Well, you will hurt her and who ever told you to pull them out is crazy. When you pull a feather out of the tail or flight feather, there's a 85% chance of bleeding because both areas are known as blood feathers. Also, you may not only pull the feather out but you may also pull the follicle out at the same time--do that and no feather will grow there permanently because all feathers need a root (follicle).

Tail and flight feathers aren't the same as the rest of the feathers that molt out with regularity. Blood feathers fall out whenever they die. It could be one feather, it could be three feathers, maybe 2 feathers, maybe no feathers for a very long time throughout the year. You'll need to wait for that damaged feather?feathers to naturally die and fall out. Just because a feather is chewed or broken doesn't mean that it's dead.