NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Slippery Playstand

greymom

I just bought Rita a beautiful table playstand made by Kings Cages. It is made of Java wood and has lots of nice twisted branches. Rita took to it quickly and she doesn't always like new things. The problem is the wooden branches are slippery and sometimes when she is climbing around it she slips and because her former owners over-clipped her wings she falls off. She and I really like the stand and would like to make it less slippery. Somewhere I read about vet wrap. Do you think if I put vet wrap in different places along some of the branches this would help? Any other ideas about making this playstand less slippery for Rita?

Yes vet wrap would be one solution to the problem and it comes in so many colors it might make it more appealing to Rita. There might be other solutions that might make the wood less slippery but they escape my mind at the moment, maybe some others will have some suggestions for you.

Is it possible to use some sandpaper and roughen up the wood so it won't be so slippery? Have you contacted the company and asked for some suggestions?

Good luck and let us know what happens.<br><br>Post edited by: ZivaDiva, at: 2009/04/01 21:04

What I do to some of my perches for my eclectus (he has a light grip and fell a couple times in the past) is to take a big file or even a big knife and cut grooves (and cris cross them) in the wood to rough it up so he can grab hold of it a bit better. I haven't had any problem with my ekkie slipping or falling since I started doing that.