NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

rehomed grey

tonnaparrots

Hi all i'm looking for a bit of advice as of today i havtaken in a 3 year old possible a hen, and i know she is a bit nervous but she didnt bite her old owner and she has had me a couple of times already while i have been sorting out her cage, this is a habit that i dont want her to get into, i believe she is bluffing but not 100% certain, so i am looking for any help or tips on how to stop her biting if this habit continues, all advice is gratefully recieved

She is still getting settled in and still has no clue what has happened or where her previous owner is. She is nervous and most likely scared and that is why she is biting you. Take it slow. Let her get used to her new surroundings without you putting your hands all over in her space. If she did not bite her previous owner she most likely will stop. Her only defense is her beak and biting and since you are a stranger to her that is the only way she can tell you to stay away. Take it slow, at her pace. Talk to her, sing to her, read books to her, do things in front of her so she can listed and watch you but let her get more relaxed first. If you don't you keep getting bit. If you go slower much less likely of getting bit. Hope it helps. I rehomed a 12 year old grey and I got bit quite a bit too in the first few weeks too. I was going much to fast for him. When it took it more slowly that's when the progress start happening.

I am not sure if you have been to the welcome room or not but if you haven't please go there and tell us a little more about yourself and your new grey. We would love to hear the story and see some pictures when you get the chance.

You need to go SLOW and have a lot of patience for her to trust you. She Is not developing a habit right now, she is warning you, that you are in her space and that closeness is not welcome.

You may need to let her out of the cage before cleaning to avoid the cage aggression your experiencing right now.

During the day, sit next to the cage and talk to her, watch tv and offer a treat now and then. This will help the most in getting her settled in to her new surroundings and family. :-)

Greys do not like change and right now she is going through a big change her whole life has been turned upside down she's in a new enviroment with a new owner please be patient and let her take it all in, She needs time to decide weather its a safe place like the others said talk to her give her treats. let her know that she's ok and that you want to be her friend she will come around when she is ready

I'm not an expert and I never claim to be,but I have 3 rehomed parrots and this is worked well for us

1. Don't do anything more with her cage right now,her life has just be turned completely upside down the the cage is the only familiar thing in her life. She will be so much more comfortable if he cage is the same as it was in her old home,within reason. If it desperately needs cleaned then do that,but don't rearrange toys,perches and dishes

2. Don't worry about touching her right now,there will be plenty of time for holding and touching later. Right now just be there,read a book near her cage,watch tv,go about your life. Speak softly and gently to her. She doesn't know you and doesn't know if you're a predator or not. Try to avoid staring,they are stunning birds,but predators stare

3. Let her set the pace,if she wants to be touched you'll know and follow her lead. My Gilbert calls for treats and tickles,I follow his lead by offering treats and scratches when he wants them,and him tell me when he's had enough of the touching. The treats will be a big help to bonding once you know what she likes. Gilbert loves grapes and pine nuts in the shell

4. Take it slow and steady,there will be less biting and fear(on both parts)

Good Luck with the new grey,I'm sure everything will be just fine and in the grand scheme of things you two will be great friends in almost no time

Post edited by: Parrotdise, at: 2009/04/01 01:18<br><br>Post edited by: Parrotdise, at: 2009/04/01 01:19