NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Bug Spray?

Eckobird

There is a bug guy that comes and sprays my apartment every month and its mandatory that our complex gets sprayed for bugs. I was just wondering if this is going to be bad for my grey? Can my baby get sick from the spray they use? It's an odorless spray but I still worry. Please help calm my worries. lol Thanks!

Odorless to you, yes.

Odorless to birds? Can't really say for sure. It's not mandatory for exterminating companies to make chemicals that are odorless to all animals. Dogs and cats find the chemicals repulsive and have the ability to run away. If they do that then the spray isn't really odorless except to you. Most sprays are oily and made to stay at an area for a while. You need to call the exterminating company and ask about that. You can also call your vet and ask about professional exterminating chemicals. He'll know about that stuff. It would be just guessing here. Loads of different sprays and pastes are used. The vet will know about it. If your whole apartment is being done and the vet says that they'll be problems, you'll haveto put the bird with a neighbor until the chemicals dissipates.

There is no way I would take the chance the day the pesticide people cam is the day all my birds would be comeing to work with me Even if I had to leave them in the car covered up it would be better than taking any chances. I have enough friends and family that I could leave my birds for a day until I aired my apt out totaly

I remember one guy said his apartment got sprayed but can't remember why but his grey died because of it. I would remove your grey from the apartment for awhile. You may not be able to smell it but it might harm your bird. Ask your vet how long to keep your grey away. It's better to be safe than sorry.

So I went to the vet today and asked about the bug spray and she said that it is not safe for the birds! Thanks everyone for your help you guys were right! I will be taking him to my moms house for awhile when my house gets sprayed.

The next time the exterminator comes out, you should ask him what chemical he is using. Some are pet/bird safe (Other than getting sprayed on them).

We have our home sprayed monthly on the outside. The first rule before we hired the service over 4 years ago, was that whatever they sprayed had to be animal/bird safe. I forget the chemical they use now, but I researched it then and it was indeed safe as long as it was not sprayed "On Them".

That's not something that can be answered here. There's no written laws about that nor are there any laws that say that they have to or not have to exterminate. The manager/managers of the complex can explain the situations concerning monthly visits of exterminators to your complex.

Fairymyst why don't you just go talk to your apartment manager about your concerns. Most people are animal lovers at heart. I would just talk to them about the hazards of bug spray to your birds and perhaps they would be willing to give you 24-hour notice as a courtesy.

fairymyst so far i know the do not have right for just go in your apt because in my apt the always give me notice...if not :evil: just talk with the manager so next time the will give you notice!!!:evil: good luck

I actually have talked with him and requested 24 hour notice, I have even gone as far as sending him a letter imploring him to use Natural methods for bug control. He didn't listen, since they have recently sprayed to kill crane flies, and he never even gave me notice...I got a phone call the day of when they were already spraying! Needless to say, Chloe had no problems, but I did! I have asthma and had an asthma attack that day. I have reached my wits end regarding chemical usage around my apartment. Not only for my health but that of my birds is at stake!