NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

wbaradio

Hello, I'm a new member to this board. I have several cockatiels which includes two breeding pairs, an adopted Indian Ringneck parakeet, and now an adopted Congo African Grey named Sam. Sam is approx. 17 years old and the former owners let him out of his cage for long periods of time in the kitchen where he knawed on every piece of wood he could find... guess he was bored.

Anyway, he's 17 years old and kinda set in his ways. We have him and his old cage in the kitchen away from the other birds in the sunroom. He's been with us a week now but bites pretty hard when you try to get him to step up. He did this to his previous owners also. They used a "stup-up"oven mit whenever they moved him. He does talk alittle saying Hello when the telephone rings and "uh-huh" (short for yes when you're talking on the phone. He seems to be a nice bird who will acclamate. I've seen on the internet several ways to overcome fear in the birds to keep them from biting. Are there any proven practice/articles on this site to help with overcoming the birds fear and bite management?

Thanks,

Britt

Chesapeake, VA

Hi Brett, you will learn a lot from reading thru the mny threads here on our site and we have other members who adopted an older grey with "baggage" it will take some time and lots of patience.

He is in an unfamiliar situation right now and he needs lots of time to become comfortable with you as a week is no where near enough time, it may take months and even years before he trusts you so be patient.

I see you are in Cheaspeake, Va, I am from Va too and there is a BCV Convention in Virginia Beach next weekend and I will be there.

Welcome Britt, Sam and flock!!

Sam is a mature Grey and knows what He wants and when he wants it. That covers all areas of getting in his cage, out of his cage, whether he wishes to be moved or not etc. They communicate this by biting.

You will learn his body language soon and will have time to stop moving your hand towards him when you recognize his body language is telling you he is going to bite. Just step back, leave the cage door open and let him come out on his own.

This is not a fear issue. The reason I say this, is because you said the previous owner had the same issue and had this Grey for Years.It is an issue of, perhaps he does not want to come out right then, possibly possessiveness of HIS Cage or he would rather let himself out. :-)

It sounds like you have made GreYt progress in making him feel comfortable in your home and he is settling in quite nicely. The rest as all upto to time, patience and tons of love.

Looking forward to hearing more from you.