NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Vengeful Koko

dhorje

Koko loves to bite the cable TV wire behind our sliding door's curtain. She would go for the wire whenever she was on the curtain frame. Being too short to reach Koko, my wife had to use a feather duster to shoo Koko away from chewing on the wire. Every time my wife did that, Koko would fly on my wife's head or shoulder, bombed then flew away. This makes my wife real MAD.:evil:

What a vengeful bird.:angry:

Koko is just doing what comes naturally and that is chew on anything she finds, you need to find other things to keep her occupied or come up with a solution to cover the wires in something she either can't chew thru or get to.

Birds love to chew and if you don't provide other opportunities for suitable objects then she is going for whatever is handy.

Sounds like you've got a clever bird with attitude to spare! Dorian's not a chewer, but I had a pet rabbit in the past and they can compete with birds when it comes to chewing up wires and everything else they come across. I see you are in Malaysia, so I'm not sure what kind of materials you can buy easily, but here are some suggestions I used to keep Charlie, the rabbit, away from my wires.

Put a piece of untreated pine 1/4" round trim over the wire and attach it to the wall and floor in spots with some stick on velcro pieces. Cheap, and easy to replace when the wood gets chewed!

Buy some pvc, run the wires through it, and, again, use velcro to hold it against the wall. Paint it out with bird-safe paint to match the floor or wall.

I have no idea if you have access to IKEA stuff, so this may be more for others members here, but they sell a wire hider. It comes in strip about a metre long and has self stick tape on one side and a rubber 1/2" round tube with a slit on the other. (kind of hard to explain, but I hope you get the idea) You press the wires through the slit into the tube, then stick the strip to the wall (or desk, counter, anywhere you have wires or cords you want to hide). This will get the wires up past the point where your critter can reach them. The rubber is chewable, though, if they figure out a way to get to it! (voice of experience here:angry: ) I like this stuff because you can paint it out and it isn't noticeable. Usually sold in the office furniture section.

Hope this helps your wife and your 'vengence from the sky' birdie!

Hahahahaha, wow Koko does have ZEST at having fun. That feather duster and the subsequent head bombing is BIG fun to him.

Your poor wife is is joy, much to her frustration.

They do love to chew on cables of any sort everytime the opportunity arises. Building a frame as was suggested to hide cabling was a great idea from Acappella. :_)

you said everytime my wife does that so sounds like she regularly uses the feather duster. I'm suprised that she hasnt become a predator and on the receiving end of more unwanted behaviour.

if your grey isnt safe i would suggest clipping, normally im a fan of not clipping. Storm came to me clipped from the breeder but until it becomes a problem she will be allowed to grow out her wings.

do you have plenty of toys out there that your grey can destroy?

My Grey doesn't like her toys. I bought her some drift woods to chew but she prefers our belongings such as laptop, files, drinking bottles, pens and anything she can find in the house.

She likes to perch on the curtain frame, that's the highest spot in the house and she knows where the wires are. I'll put her back in the cage when she is out of control.

I have no intention having her wings clipped. I enjoy when my Grey flies to me and I hate taking that freedom away.