NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Question about cleaners

Summerc25

I read alot of the posts on cleaners and other toxic items. I also read some other websites. If I have my Grey on the other side of my house, three rooms away, and I clean my bathroom and have the window open, will it still be harmful to him? I am going to make some of the other cleaners up but in my bathroom I use scrubbing bubbles and I love that but if I have to change it I will. I am a little overwhelmed at all of the things that are toxic to birds. It is scary :( lol I am writng a list up of everything I need to get rid of before my baby, hopefully, comes home with me :)

Ohhhh one more thing. If I just painted the inside of my house and stained concrete floors, how long does that need to air out before I bring the bird home? If it is a few weeks before he moves in and I open the windows a lot when I can, should that be okay?

"""""If I have my Grey on the other side of my house, three rooms away, and I clean my bathroom and have the window open, will it still be harmful to him?"""""

No because bathroom cleaners dissapate pretty quickly. The only thing you need to do is close the door, turn on the exhaust and that'll pull the odor away ( and you don't have to have your grey on the other side of the house).

""""If I just painted the inside of my house and stained concrete floors, how long does that need to air out before I bring the bird home? If it is a few weeks before he moves in and I open the windows a lot when I can, should that be okay? """""

On the average, one or two rooms painted with latex paint will take approx 1 week for the odor to leave. Latex paint is water based. Using oil paint is a whole different thing. It'll take weeks before a house can have birds in it. The odor will linger because it's oil based.

When any painting is going on,there should be 1 or 2 exhaust fans working 24 hr a day. They should be positioned against open windows. If you have no exhaust fans, simply take a strong fan, put it against a window with the air blowing out. That'll make it act like an exhaust fan.

I know nothing about stained concrete but if it's oiled based in any way, lots of time is needed for the smell to go away.