NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Interesting article

LindaMary

I thought this was a really interesting article on some possible sources of the oft-perceived difference in temperament between Timnehs and Congos. I hope I am not infringing on Jane Hallander's copyright by posting a link to her article here - (if so, I am sorry, Jane!) don't really know how that works on the internet.

Anyway - I'd be curious to know peoples' reactions!

http://www.parrothouse.com/congotimineh.html

I agree totally with the artical.I have long thought that some of the problems grey exhibit are as a result of hand feeding and them not developing as a wild grey would.Blue my cousins grey is wild caught and never had any behavioural problems.Mind you on saying that my own grey hasnt and I believe him to be hand reared.My grey is far more nervious and insecure than Blue.Interestingly Blue has always been fed a primarily seed diet.Charlie pellets.Jane touched on this in her artical.I would love to learn more about grey development and behavior,it faciates me.

LindaMary,

Thanks for the link.

I don't think there is a copyright problem because you provided a link.

You have not claimed it as your own work or linked to a protected web page.

It is a very interesting article. I have long held the opinion that young Greys are often passed on to new keepers at much to young an age. They should not be sold at less than one year. i think that hand rearing Greys is a bad idea unless there is no choice. Greys are the best possible parents for Greys.

As for clipping...:evil: ....it is simply a very bad idea.These animals are supposed to be fully flighted birds. Everything about them from their body shape. bone structure. lung design and of course WINGS have evolved to that end. Or if you prefer, That is how God designed them ! Imagine living your life with your legs tied together. Perhaps the nearest real human equivalent is foot binding as was practiced in old China.

Sorry about the rant :ohmy: But I feel strongly about this and I am pretty sure Misty agrees with me.:)

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2009/03/25 18:06

A few months ago I made a post about the same article, but on a different website.

Here is my post:

http://www.greyforums.net/component/option,com_joomlaboard/Itemid,27/func,view/catid,5/id,105728/

Here is the link to the Article:

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/greys/species.htm

Anyway, my point is that when I decided that I wanted an African Grey, I talked to my breeder about the two species. She has a few pairs of each species and she told me many of these same characteristics. That TAGs are not as skittish, TAGs do not switch bonded human as often if at all, TAGS do not pluck as often (She said that she has seen a few CAGs pluck, but the only TAG she ever saw that was plucking, had a medical issue (again, this was just the birds that she physically saw herself)).

So when I saw this article, I found it very interesting myself.

It seems to me that the point of the article was not that GAGs are skittish or poor at bonding. It was that many GAG breeders have a poor understanding of the psychological needs of baby GAGs and are therefor likely to produce problem babies. With care and understanding they can never the less make wonderful companions. The real problem is perhaps with breeders who think it more important to have a quick turn over than it is to take time to understand the needs of their babies. Unfortunately the problems may not become apparent until more than a year down the line. Perhaps too long for the breeder to realize that they are the initial cause of the problem.

My 2c

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2009/03/26 00:33

Yes, exactly, Steve - that's the way I took it as well. It sounds to me like one of the differences Jane study indicates is that CAGs simply need a longer period of socialization within their family of origin, before being asked to move on to a new family - whereas TAGs are naturally ready to become independent at an earlier age.

• 1 month later...