NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

nesting behavior

Hi all

I have a 21yr old male timneh grey. He has been

frantically shredding paper and very anxious and not eating real well. Must be nesting.... anybody else find this with their males? I am new to this site.. thought it would be fun.

Take Care

Tigers mom

Hello Tigersmom and welcome to the family, so glad you found us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Tiger.

I have a female and she is only going on 3 years old so I have no clue as to your male's behavior but we do have several knowledgeable members who might be able to shed some light on this behavior.

You will find lots of useful information in our many threads so do read thru them at your leisure and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

We would love to see some pictures of Tiger if you have some you would share with us.

Hi tigersmom, I have only had my female grey for about 4 months so I don't have any experience with your type of problem. I only wanted to welcome you to the family. I look forward to hearing more about your 21 year old grey, Tiger! If you have any pictures, we would love to see them!!

Guest jamalbirdbiz

Marvin likez to nezt sometimez 2, but I just ignore him when he actz like that. Hez just actin a fool. lol

Jamal

Hello and welcome TigersMom!!

Generally speaking, spring behavior happens once a year in the life of a sexually mature parrot. It is a normal rhythm of nature, and there is nothing you or your parrot can do about it except wait it out. But you should be aware, understanding, and alert to the changes, in hopes of minimizing the negative side effects wherever possible.

Parrots cannot control this hormonal stuff and I would think this would have been displayed previously with your TAG being 21 years old.

Let the paper shredding and nest building take place. This will keep some of the stress and urgency your Grey is feeling right now under control. The release of stress through those actions will lessen the frustration as those Hormones of "spring fever" are raging.

As a rule, any abrupt and dramatic behavior change in a mature parrot that is NOT evidence of a medical problem developing, can safely be classed as nesting behavior.

NOTE: If you are not sure about your parrot's behavior, make an appointment with your avian vet.<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/03/22 14:43