NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

african grey

tonnaparrots

You will have to have it sexed by sending a drop of blood, you cannot tell the sex by looking at it, you can get one of those kits from www.avianbiotech.com or having the vet do it.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some more about you and this new grey.

Hi tonnaparrots, welcome to the family. The site which Judy provided also does DNA testing with feathers. They will send you a free testing kit and you just pop in several feathers and they e-mail you the results and then send a certificate by mail. There is a fee. I got the test kit and my breeder plucked the feathers (from the body under the wing) and I sent them in. Within the week I had the results. Congratulations on your new grey!!!

The kit gives instructions for doing-it-yourself, either with a nail clip or feather pluck. But unless you are a super expert in parrot care I would not recommend that route. The vet can prepare the sample professionally in 10 stess-free seconds.

Cost of testing: $20. They will post the results online within 24 hours of receiving the sample.

• 3 weeks later...

hi mistyparrot,

no real reason apart from the fact that my bird has been given a female name, and i would like to know for sure what the sex is.

at this moment i have just started to breed indian ringnecks so the greys are something that i will be thinking of in the future so knowing the sex is always a big help