NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Molting

Big_Squishy

BoBo CAG Male 1 year 1 month just started his first significant molt. I will be attempting to take some detailed photos to post here. I will use photobucket unless there is a better place. If others here have the ability to take photos as well and they include basic info about their Grey this might help others identify some of the normal changes in our birds. (skin, color moisture, mood, etc...

This could also help if your bird has other than normal conditions, yeast infections, trama, illness etc..., detailed photos ( which should not replace Vet inspections) could aid or point us owners in more of the right direction as far as initial responce and actions.

It will take me a few days and I will post BoBo;s photos of his molting areas and offer a bit about behavior changes.

JC<br><br>Post edited by: Big_Squishy, at: 2009/03/17 23:40

Well, if your bird is having the average first significant normal molt,you may have a problem photographing because skin won't be seen because feathers will remain all over the body ( both old and new feathers.)while the bird is molting. Birds don't become temporarily bald. The mood always changes because of temporary irritations with the new feathers growing in so they become a little short tempered if they're petted against the feather growth and they'll bite if annoyed. Extra misting is par for the course when a bird is molting because the skin naturally gets more dry when molting but that not unusual. The only color change will be that the new feathers will be slightly darker until they get a dose of dander. Then the feathers will look lighter.

What you WILL see is a load of messy dead feathers in the bottom of the cage and some of them will be floating around.<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/18 00:42