NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

louies story

louiesdad

hello everyone, this is my first post, but i wanted to give louie a proper intro,

we adopted louie back in April of 2008, he is between 5 and 7 yrs old, and quite frankly up until he went into rescue his life was pretty much terrible, we knew going in that louie had been abused, and neglected from his first families, and when we took him to our vet there where signs of him having had broken bones that had healed on there own, when louie was in the rescue he also bit the woman that ran the rescue so bad she needed 4 or 5 stitches in her lip, to say the least he trusted noone,well the day we went to pick him up i was shocked at how badly he had plucked himself both on his back and his stomach areas, but after a few minutes there i must have showed him enough that he climbed onto my hand with no problem,the rescuer was absolutely amazed at how louie took right to me, the last year with him has had its ups and downs but i would say more ups, he doesnt pluck anymore, he sings and dances, and his very favorite thing is to follow dad wherever i go,

my wife and i run a chinchilla rescue, and we have many many animals and fids in our care, and louie has made friends with 4 of our chinchillas, every day he visits them hanging on there cage and talking to them, and he gets the biggest delite out of giving them there nightly treats,

he is out of his cage at between 8 and 9 am and goes to bed at around 11pm at night, but if it is just me in the living room at night he will stay up a bit later spending time with me, i have taught him to shake hands, play dead bird, and his favorite, i place all my change in my pocket on the coffee table, and i say louie bank your money, and he will take the coins one at a time and put them in his piggy bank.

we have a few other fids but louie has sort of a bond with our U-2 him and her love chattering back and forth and they also have learned words from each other

the most recent break through with louie just happened last friday night, he was sitting on my lap as he does every night and i was rubbing his neck, well he has started molting, and most times if i touched a feather in sheeth he would quickly grab my finger to let me know hey dont touch that, but the other night as i was rubbing his neck he had his beak against my leg and he was mouthing my leg, well i noticed a new sheeth that was all wrapped up in his down so i gently tried releasing it. when i finally got it loose i tried preening him as i do our toos except this time he coo'd softly and pushed his head towards my hand, well i rolled the sheethed feather in my fingers until it cracked and the sheeth came off in my fingers, when i took my hand away he investigated what i had and then put his head back down as if to say do more dad do more, well for the last few nights he has climbed onto my leg and put his head down and i have helped him to get those pesky head and neck feathers he couldnt reach,,

all in all louie has come some far in a years time, his trust issues are becoming a thing of the past, and he is blossoming into a true grey, he still doesnt like woman but my wife and i feel that is a small price as far as he is concerned,

Hello Louiesdad and Louie. What a great story. I love to hear of people rehoming and rescuing older birds. I would love to see a video of Louie banking his money:)

Have you considered getting him a job at the treasury ? It seems he would be good at running a bank:lol:

Steve n Misty

What a wonderful rescue story. :-)

Louie is so lucky to have found a loving home that has shown him what a human relationship can be like with no pain, fear, abuse etc.

You have made wonderful progress with him and taught him some great tricks to keep him mentally challenged.

Thanks for sharing his story! :-)

Thank you for sharing your story with us. I'm so happy for Louie that he has a new life and someone who cares enough to help him overcome his issues and forget about his past. Please keep us updated on your progress with him!

That story brought tears to my eyes. I also adopted a abused, neglected African Grey about a year and a half ago. It trully is amazing how these birds bounce back with love and patients. I have 3 birds that where rescues from horrable curcumstances and by far it has taken Tyco my Grey the longest to accept me and learn to trust again but it definatly has been worth the journey and I wouldn't give her up for anything. I am so happy there are people in this like you that can bring a bird into there home and show them that all humans are not cruel and heartless good for you and for Louie also I would love to see some pictures when you get a chance. he sounds like a wonderful bird.

Hi LouiesDad what a sad beginning but what a wonderful ending to Louis' travels. Karma to you for giving Louie such a loving forever home. I can't wait to see some pictures of this wonderful grey. I wonder if Louie can help me balance my checkbook, he certainly is much better with money than I am!!!!

Your story has touched me so much!

I am so pleased that Louie has found someone as loving and caring as you to give him the life he deserves!

Thankyou so much for having a big heart, just imagine what the rest of his life could have been like if you hadnt come along and rescued him. He obviously has a lot of trust with you and you have made such wonderful progress.

Cant wait to hear more about you both.

Caroline.

thank you everyone, yes louie is my baby, and he will never ever need for anything, and he knows that, and within the next couple of months we will be adopting another cag from the rescue where louie came from, another bird that has had a rough life, but he to will get a second chance at a life filled with only positive and good things, as far as pics i will get some posted soon as well as a video of my little tax accountant B)