NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

is it time yet?

soniagrey

hey guys...i miss chatting with you guys...it has been a while.

we are so so so so excited with the progress we are all making towards getting to know each other. we think of ms sonia as our first child and she instantly became part of the family. we talk about her and we shop for her as if she she was given birth to. thanks to you ALL ( to include everyone) we are becoming better parents......THANK YOU..........B)

well, ms sonia is doing just fine with us since we first brought her home. now, she is climbing all over her cage and poopoing everywhere. this week she just started to leave her cage and walk the living room floor. there, she poops her brains out. the next time she gets out the cage and sets to poop, we will disrupt her and make her go back to the cage. we will try to do this often and teach her how to poop only in the cage. we will give her a treat if and only if she poops.

what do u guys think about that strategy?

one more thing guys.......we have yet to lay our hands on ms sonia. we wud try to pet her and she would open her mouth as if to bite. we get scared and we give up the idea.......lol......is it time yet to try to pick her up yet? if so, hit me back guys and let me know.

till then......

Guest Monique

Hello soniagrey. I definitely think it is time to start getting her used to you picking her up. {Communicate-0002011B}

Actually, I wouldn't let her leave her cage any more unless you are the one letting her out of it.

You need to get her used to your hands first. Can you feed her a treat by hand? Does she step up at all? Can you give her scritches on your head? Please read my article under "Understanding Your Grey" on biting. It is very easy to inadvertently enforce a biting behavior.

A huge congratulations on your progress with your baby!!!!!!!

Sonia,

I'm glad to hear things are improving. I definitely think you should start teaching her to step up to leave her cage. Monique has very good advice about getting her used to your hand and you being the one to take her out of her cage. She has to learn that you are the flock member that she has to listen to.

As far as teaching her to poop in her cage, Greys don't like to poop in their cage. (it's their home) They will hold it all night or all day until you take them out. Maybe you could put some paper down where she likes to go, and praise her or give her a treat when she goes there. I use a basket with a handle on it, and Talon will go there ( I put paper inside the basket for easy clean up) She knows it's called the potty basket, and in the beginning she got plenty of praise when she went there as opposed to the floor.

Greys are real smart and learn quickly with lots of praise,love and positive reinforcement. Good luck and keep us updated! :)

It is time for Sonia to get used to the hands, try making her step up for you by putting your hand in front of her belly and pushing slightly while saying step up. When you do this don't hesitate and pull back if she acts like she will bite, just do it, show no fear. When she does step up praise her lavishly as they love for you to fawn over them. Tell her what a good girl she is and do it a few times a day, be consistent and let her know your hand is not to be feared. If she does happen to bite don't yell out or pull back, be brave and take it for she needs to know that biting you won't make you go away. I know this is harsh sounding and hard to do but it will bring rewards to you and your bird. I'm not an expert and maybe one of the other members has more or better information.:)

Guest Monique

Our greys have never had a problem going in their cage. Talon you must have a fastidious clean grey! :)

Pooping is a way of life. lol I have just learned to clean up after my grey. She has a play gym and I keep papper under it and she is not allowed on the floor cause of my dogs.

She poops on me so anytime I am playing with the birds I wear cloths I dont care if they get messy.

I have heard some about a few bad side effects about teaching a bird only to poops in cage. Like going to the vet and holding it till they get home. Or buying a new cage and bird refussing to poop in it. Just something to think about.

My Josey does poop in her cage but I have noticed lately that she goes to certain sections to do her poops when she is in the cage. She does not poop on me as I notice when she is about to go and take her to the poop trash can and hold her over it and tell her to take a dump and she does. If you watch the body language you can read when they need to go so they don't do it on you. Now my sun conure is something else she goes on me all the time so I only wear shirts that don't matter. Of course it all comes out in the wash so it isn't a problem.