NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

joey dunlop

Hello Ianstewart and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and Joey, I assume that is your grey's name.

How long have you had your grey, are you his first owner, how old is he? We need some more information before we can make some suggestions to help you.

Please read thru the many threads for lots of useful information and do ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

If you have some pictures of your grey you would share with us we would love to see him.

hi

we have had joey for say six months he loves my wife but seems to want to eat me i can step him up no probs on command he does all sorts of tricks talks loads vocab endless learnt some names from house hold kieley letter perfect jack our dog mish mish i got him from liverpool and he has given us hours of fun i have to wait for the kids to be in bed before i can let him out cos if he takes chunks from my hand what will he do to the kids i let him chew me up cos i was told not to pull away but after the last frnzied attack i fear he will do some serious damage i mean my whole hand was covered in blood and i now have scars from his last attack but i wont let him get the better of me i just need to distract him so i can positivly reinforce his good behaviour but have found no food he would walk to the ends of the earth for hmmmm puzzled????

Hi Ian,

Welcome to the forum. Are you from Liverpool? I am from sunny Leeds lol.

One of my greys can be a biter when he is that way out, I use pistachio nuts and also pine nuts to do training with him. These treats always work with my three, I try and save them for short training sessions and when I need to get them all back in their cages. You can pick these up at the local Asda, they dont cost too much for a small bag.

Glad you found us here, I hope you enjoy looking round the forum, any questions just shout!

Caroline.

hi caroline no im from sunny rhyl on north wales coast i just fetched joey from liverpool after being messed about with another bird to find that the bird i now have belonged to the plonker that messed me about i payed 600 for joey and no cage he was a steal as he does all sorts and holds back on nothing only me i just feel that i have done something wrong with him i get him out as much as i can but it does not seem to be enough i will try the nuts you have mentiond and try him i just need something that he he will love so i can use as a treat for good behaviour i hope im doing this right

many thanks ian

It's good that you can step him up in case you ever need to get to him in a hurry. Is he biting as soon as he's on your hand, or is it if you hold onto him for a couple of minutes. If he doesn't bite right away, maybe try a quick step-up, a treat, and then step him down right away before he even gets a chance to think "ok, and now I BITE":P Essentially break the habit by not giving him an opportunity. Then try holding on to him for a few seconds longer, step him down, lots of praise and excitment every time he's up and down without biting you. If he does get a bite in, step him down and quietly leave the room for a few minutes, don't answer if he calls for you (that's the part I stink at lol) He should start to put it together. No bite = praise and treat, bite means alone and no treat. It may take awhile, but patience is alway key when we're working with these guys, isn't it?

P.S. Dorian loves walnuts and peanuts,so I always hold these out as treats.

well this is the interesting bit i can have him on my hand for how ever long i want but when i go to fuss him or touch him he just sees me as a protein treat tickle=bite (lol) if wife does it head down loads of fuss no probs all i want to do is be his friend with out being malled (lol) :blush:

Ian you might have to settle for just allowing him to sit on your hand and not touch him, he prefers your wife over you and there is not much you can do about that. Maybe you can offer and give him treats so he associates those with you. Greys are known for having a favorite person who they will allow to do most anything to them and anybody else gets a cold shoulder but you two can still have a good relationship, just not like the one he has with your wife.

Welcome ianstewart the Grey sanck!! ;-)

It's GreYt having you here.

The others have given very good information. In regards this last post,if you don't want to be bitten, stop trying to pet or scratch him.

He evidently is not on that level of intimacy with you and is letting you know you just enter too far into his comfort level.

The idea of giving treats as a possible distraction and fare to allow a scratch or two might just work.

Looking forward to hearing more from you on how this progresses. :-)

hi guys well after loads of persaverance and friend new ceasers dad and friends and expert in currys electrical store i now will attempt yet again another pic of joey need to get loads more i also am in progress of editing film footage of joeys extensive vocab for youtube will keep ya posted on how i get on and try and put link in message on board when it happens well here ya all go here is pic of my grey man eater joey dunlop joey_dunlop_pic.jpg

joey_dunlop_pic.jpg