NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Introducing Myself

Guest Lidia

Guest Lidia

Hello All,

I'm new here, and delighted to meet you all. I'm based in Dublin, Ireland, and it's a lovely day here (for a MAD change!).

My beautiful grey, Joshua, will turn 18 on 15 June, and I have had him since he was a baby of four months. He is very talkative, very tactile and curious about new things and new people.

He met a large Bernese Mountain dog last week and it only took him about five minutes to work out how to utterly torment and annoy that poor dog by low flying over him and then flying back up to his highest perch (on his Joshua Tree).

Thumper

Guest Lidia

Thanks, Talon, nice to meet you. Many stories, yes. And as soon as I read more of the threads and posts I hope I'll learn more about you and yours.

I see you let yours fly around. I bought mine on 3 months with her wings already clipped. But now I am curious. But I am so scared that she will fly away.

Will her wings grow back to normal length?

Guest Lidia

Unless she's been badly clipped, yes.

Joshua was flying the day I met him in December 1989 and althought I was advised to and did get him clipped, after a few years I came to the conclusion that as he is a bird he needs to express his birdness with flight.

My apartment is pretty small, but he navigates his way easily, he's never really hurt himself flying (or crashing). I think you just have to be careful. I did lose him once for about a week because of my carelessness, and it was probably the worst week of my life, as I was convinced he was dead. I have just been very very very careful since then (that was in 1995).

There are so many ways they can hurt themselves flying, but there are also ways they can hurt themselves not flying. I know Joshua enjoys flight and I'd be very wary of removing that joy from his life without good reason.

I think it's a choice only you can make.

Guest Monique

Welcome Thumper!!! It will be great to have you and Joshua with us here, as was noted we love stories! :) So glad that you have been able to enjoy your Grey for 18 years - that is awesome! Is your grey a CAG or a TAG? Is this your first/only bird? I hope you enjoy it here!

Guest Lidia

Hi Splint101, Caspersmum, Karla and Monique,

Thanks for the welcome, much appreciated!

I do have loads of stories, but I'm sure you all do too. I will really enjoy getting to know you through your posts, I only saw this site for the first time this morning, so bear with me while I read up on you and your greys!

Monique, Joshua is a CAG, and he is my only bird, but not my first. I've had birds ever since I was a child, budgies, cockatiels, and now Joshua, who is sitting on my shoulder, chewing the neck of my tshirt as I type.

Guest Lidia

I seem to have an entire wardrobe full of grey clothes at the moment. And I am completely unable to wear anything with buttons, zippers or toggles around the house. Red rag to a bull. Button to a bird?

Talon wrote:

Don't you just love all the holes we have in our shirts these days??? {Feel-good-00020069}

{Feel-good-0002006E}

thumper: welcome here!

I just know you will enjoy our forum ;)

Splint, that's a great idea, except she's on my shoulder alot through-out the day!

What about breaking necklaces & ripping your earrings out! That's always a favorite of hers also!!

{Emotions-0002011C}

Guest Lidia

Bling? Earrings? Heh, what about lunging at your glasses, grabbing them with feet and then dangling off them, cackling madly and THEN expecting to be tickled?!? Now, that's the work of a parrot!<br><br>Post edited by: Thumper, at: 2007/06/08 00:34

Talon wrote:

Don't you just love all the holes we have in our shirts these days??? {Feel-good-00020069}

Yes Talon.. right on with that one.. Ceasar use to sit nice on my shoulder when we would go for Starbucks.. Lately he gets a kick out of ruining my business shirts.. Yeah, you know the kind.. those white button down expensive ones.. :( Extra expensive I might add because I have to tailor them special for my 18 inch neck size.. :( :blink:<br><br>Post edited by: CeasarsDad, at: 2007/06/08 01:47

Guest Lidia

You take Caesar to Starbucks? Do you use a harnass or something? I wish I could take Joshua out, but probably wouuld have to have started that when he was much younger (and I knew far less about him). Apart from pooping on your shirts, how does he behave when out and about?

Ceasar sits on my shoulder looking out the back window.. He doesn't poop at all... One of Ceasar favorite toys of all time is the Starbucks lid.. If you ever get a chance to pick one up give it to your grey... see what he does.. So Ceasar knows when we go out he's getting a lid... :P