NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Play gym/Top Perch/Picture

rjhammy

Hi All!

Ash is our 5-month old CAG. My boyfriend and I spent the whole weekend building a play gym. She LOVED it for the first two weeks. She climbed to every branch, hung off every toy and found every hidden treat.

For the past week, she only sits on the top perch and chirps. She won't play like she used to. She just sits on the top. Any suggestions?

I tried putting her on different areas, and she climbs to the top. My boyfriend and I would "hang" on lower branches and play with toys and she still stays on the top.

Here's a picture of her on the tree...

February2009008.jpg<br><br>Post edited by: rjhammy, at: 2009/03/12 19:33

At first, after a grey loses it's initial fear of an object such as a stand, it will go onto a stand and explore just about everything that's there and after checking things out and playing with things for a while, nature takes over and they find the highest spot on an object and the amount of constant contact with all the other things lessens greatly. They're extremely comfortable on top and they'll relax and stay more still on the top. The time for toy playing comes once in a while but not constantly. it's the nature greys and a few other species.

Nice playstand you have there for Ash but like Dave said sometimes they just like to sit on the highest point and relax or like my Josey does, she sits there and goes thru her vocabulary of words and sounds. Thanks for sharing a picture of it with us.

What wood did you use for it?

We used manzanita for the perch. We found a place that sells bundles of manzanita.

Our bundle cost about $100. From that... we were able to build the large play tree, a medium stand and a small stand... with three large branches left over for future use.

It is a very nice looking stand! Ash looks so pretty sitting up on top of it too. Have you tried rearranging the toys on it to peak her interest again? Or you could hang some foraging toys lower down so she'll have to go down to get her favorite treats. At least she isn't scared of it so that's a big plus!