NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Buying a African Grey 4yrs old

imrul2001

Hi Everyone,

Im new to this forum!

I am thinking of buying a african grey(congo) parrot,

I wen to see one today, and require some advice from experts and owners.

The Grey is 4 years old male, the person is selling it due to moving house. However i went to see the parrot today and its loverly, perfect feathers. however it was shivering?

I have had a cockatiel before, but not a big bird expert, please can someone give me some advice.

Why was it shivering? owner said it talks loads, but it didnt talk. however it did take food from my had, but tried to bite when trying to pick it up?

I am unsure if i should buy it or not, as it was trying to bite. However will it be tameable not to bite?

Sorry for the long post, but any help would be greatly appreciated! many thanks!

Maybe he was just scared or nervous after all you are a complete stranger to him and african greys can be very nervous with newness. I know Emma trembles when she is extremely scared. In terms of biting, all parrots will bite at some point, tame or not tame. It is just their way of communicating to you. How else can they let you know if they aren't comfortable with something.If you decide to become a parrot owner you'll need to learn how to read their body language in order to prevent and understand why they bite. You did the right thing posting on here. Please continue to do your research and ask ALOT of questions to make sure that you are completely ready for this commitment. This website seems to have a wealth of information. It is a great place to start. Good luck on your research.

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/11 21:42

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/11 21:46

Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/11 21:48<br><br>Post edited by: lovethatgrey, at: 2009/03/11 21:51

You're a stranger to the bird. They'll shiver when a bit frightened or leery or nervous. Most greys will immediately stop talking when approached by anyone. It doesn't happen in the home but if strangers come to the home, it will immediately stop talking and will juat stare. They won't perform.

Biting--nothing unusual to happen to a stranger where picking up from the floor is concerned. That type of habit slowly disappears after a bird is home with the person it trusts and also knows the person's everyday habits . basically, it comes under the catagory of familiarity. It sounds like a decent bird but it probably hassome habits fronm the past that he'll take home with him. That applies to all parrots who've linved in other homes where people have done things differently. If it was me, I would take the bird but you should ask when the bird was taken to a vet and for what reason. It would be a good idea to take the bird to a vet for a basic physical anyway. Everyone does that with a new bird--good luck in whatever decision you make.

I bought a 12 year old parrot last July. He was nervous at first and I got bit the first few weeks mainly because I was basically pushing myself on it. He was so new and I adored him but since he was not as comfortable as me he would bite to let me know. After I "respected" his wishes and quit trying to handle him so much in the first days/weeks, I didn't get bit anymore. I think after the first month he quit biting me but again it was my fault I got bit in the first place. Now I can touch him anywhere and pick him up any time I need to. My grey shivers from time to time so I don't think it's that unusual. I have no regrets about taking in an older bird. He is the sweetest thing and such a great companion.

This is an excellent place to come to when needing advice and getting answers from people who already have greys. If you have any more questions please feel free to ask away.

WOW!! i wasnt expecting replies in just 1 day!!! however your help is really appreciated!!! I am going to buy the bird on Friday.

But....... how do i know how old he is and how do i know he is a he and not she? at the moment i am should believing everything the seller is telling me.

I have been doing a lot of reading for the last 3 weeks, but this is the first forum i've joined!!

Also i dont think the Grey has ever had his wings clipped, but i would like to clip its wings.. whats your opinions? also i'd really like to teach it to wear a harness, so i can take it out and about in the garden, etc. How hard will this be with a adult Grey.

Last question: when i buy it on Friday, whats the best thing to do? shall i cover its cage and put it in a quite room and move it to the living room on saturday? or isit better to just place it in the living room on Friday? I always how loads of people in my house. i just want to make it feel comfortable.

Thanks again and your help is appreciated!!!

Please please don't clip his wings. I think it is a terrible thing to do. Being able to fly is central to being a bird. Clipping risks all kinds of psychological problems.

Once Greys are past about three there is no easy way to tell how old it is and there is no simple way to tell its sex either. The avian vet you take him to when you have bought him can sex your Grey and may be able to give an idea of age.

Sex doesn't really matter unless you intend to breed. The behavior of Greys to humans is not really affected by it's sex. Likewise as they live so long age is not very important either if the bird is well socialized. It is important that you realize that they don't like being handled or touched except by humans they regard as a friend and it may take a few weeks for him to realize you are his friend. Even then you should never force yourself on him. He will let you know when he is happy to be touched. If he bites hard you will only have yourself to blame.

Thank you for taking on an older parrot. I think you are in for a wonderful experience.

Steve n Misty<br><br>Post edited by: Mistyparrot, at: 2009/03/12 13:51

I go with Steve on this one, I wouldnt clip the wings either.

My birds are flighted and it gives them so much pleasure, its such a joy to see them flying around. Obviously extra care is needed for example you need to be very careful with open doors and windows and also make your bird room as parrot safe as possible. Its more about human training than anything else.

Your bird is going to take some time to settle in, dont expect too much remember, everything is new to him and he needs to gain your trust before he will probably allow you to handle him. Sit and talk with him, offer him treats just take your time.

I would place your grey in the spot where he will be staying. This should be where he is involved with you, mine are in the front room where we always spend our time together, they love to be part of the family.

Before you bring him home, ask about favourite foods he enjoys, maybe make his favourite dish on his first night home, ask about his diet and stick with this until he settles in. Ask if he is used to being covered on a night time. Just little things can help with making your grey feel more at ease.

I cant wait to here more about him, post away if you have any questions and dont forget those photos when he settles in.

Congratulations:)<br><br>Post edited by: casper, at: 2009/03/12 14:48

Welcome imrul2001 !!

Congratulations on making the decision to get that 4 year old grey and give him a new, loving and hopefully last forever home. :-)

As the others said, clipping the wings is the last thing you should really do. They are harder to control flighted and you must ensure they are in safe safe environment when you let him out. But, the gains in health benefits your grey acquires from it along with the agility and coordination he will have, far outweigh any small tasks of learning to deal with them being flighted.

There is a ton of information of this site and as you have already found, many members will reply quickly to questions.

Looking forward to hearing more from you. :-)<br><br>Post edited by: danmcq, at: 2009/03/12 16:29

When I got Baxter in my mind I "had" to clip his wings right away. I was scared to death he would fly away:ohmy: Turns out he didn't even really know how to fly anyway because he was a caged bird all his life.

I am soooo glad I did not clip his wings. I felt so sorry for him that he never had the chance to fly and with the guidance of the members here we started practicing and he still doesn't fly very much and it wasn't even an issue. We are still practicing flying and he is actually getting pretty good and his confidence has increased because of it.

My other flighted birds that can fly is not really a big deal either. I would not clip the wings but each situation is different.

Dorian was 4 years old when I bought him and we're doing great. Progress can be slow, but when you consider the average lifetime of a grey (and a human) you've got plenty of time. I have a few more questions you should ask his present owner.

Did they get it as a baby or did they re-home from somewhere else. If they got him directly from a good breeder as a baby they should have been given a hatch certificate, maybe even dna tests. You say it's not clipped. Does it fly? Was it ever allowed to fledge? Do they give it time out of his cage now or is it cage bound? Does it know the step-up command? Do they step-up onto a hand, arm or perch/dowel? I knew Dorian was afraid of sticks so I know I would have less luck teaching him to step-up onto a dowel or perch.

As for cage placement the bird will usually feels safer against at least one wall or in a corner against two walls. They are flock animals so they want to be with their people. Let it observe the activity in your home. If you can place the cage next to where you and other family members sit then you can sit by it and talk, eat, read, and just let it get used to your presence. Do you have to open the cage door to replace the food and water or can you do it from outside? IMO it's best not to invade its' cage space until it trusts you. This will lessen the chance of it becoming cage defensive and of you getting bit.

What is the present sleep routine? How many hours of sleep does it get a night? Greys' need 10-12 hours sleep in a darkened space every night. Do they use a sleep cage? Do they cover and leave it in a room where there is still activity, like tv watching? Dorian's in a room where I can turn the lights out and leave so I don't need to cover him. Some birds can sleep covered in a room that's still noisey. Some can't stand not to be involved in what's going on around them and won't sleep until it's quiet. A bird that's getting enough sleep will have less chance of developing behaviour problems like plucking, and will be more resilent and better able to accept change.

Bringing an older bird into your home is a lot like adopting a four year old child. How quickly it adapts depends partly on how it's been treated before it comes to you, and partly on its' basic personality. Some are very resilient and curious right from the start, some are cautious and slow to trust. Same thing with introducing new toys. Some want to explore and play right away, some think every new item is a potential, even likely, parrot killing device:P Dorian never speaks in front of strangers, but around here he talks, and talks, and talks . . . In fact, one of the things he came to me from the store saying was "does he talk?":silly:

You can't have too much information. Also, how open the present owners are to your questions can tell you a lot. After all, a good owner will be just as concerned that their pet is going to a good home as the new owner is curious about the bird. It is sooo worth it to take in a previously owned bird, and as you're learning, there's lots of support and information here. Good luck bringing your new family member home and getting to know each other.

Hello Imrul2001 and welcome here. So glad you are doing your research before you bring your new grey home. You've gotten lots of great advice from the other members already so I'll just say congratulations and I'm happy you are giving this bird a chance. Let us know how things are going once you bring it home!

I agree tha birds should be flighted but at the same time. I always give my birds a minor clip when I get them just to help them adjust to their new home and to show them the dangers and such I have a sun room with very large windows and the bird need to learn about them so they don't fly into them and hurt themselves. So I like to take them around and show them that they are solid I touch the windows and get them to touch them with their beaks I do this 3 times a week until their wings grow out. also you said that you always have allot of people in your house. It is your job to keep your bird safe what if your in the bathroom and one of those people go out for a quick smoke or something and leave the door open and your bird flys away. If you cannot garentee that this won't happen then mabie clipping its wing would be safer for the bird. It is up to each resposible bird owner to decide what is best for them and their birds If you feel there is sufficiant danger that your bird could escape then I think clipping its wings is a safer option. on the other hand if you feel that you can have a flighted bird in your home then by all means DON"T CLIP The birds just love to fly and the squeals of joy and areobaticis will warm any bird owners heart. I have people coming and going at my house also but I have 2 doors so if my birds get out one door then they will find themselves in the mud room. so I don't really have to worry. all my birds are fully flighted and its wonderful to have them fly to me when they want to or when I say come here. I wouldn't have it any other way. I took in an older abused Grey about a year and a half a go and she is definatly not the same bird that I brought home.She is sweet and I can give her scritches and she talks up a storm. She was not permitted to fledge as a baby and still cannot fly very well but she does try and that in itself has built confidence. Taking in an older bird definatly has its rewards it also takes allot of love and patients good luck with your new baby

Hi guys!

Thanks for all the help and advice, i got the Grey yesterday and his called Kiddy lol!! i was gonna upload a pic of him. put i dont know how to upload it on the post?

He is settling in quite well, he takes food from my hand and likes to be tickled. however he is still shivering and has not yet spoken a single word?

Any idea on what treats i can try we him? he likes broccoli, so i bought sum yesterday and seems like after havin a little his not that keen anymore, whats ur opionions on treats for the Grey's?

As always i really appreciate your help and advice....

I am glad you have got Kiddy. He will need some time to settle in to his new home.The important thing to remember is not to rush him.Let him be the boss of how fast things progress.It is a good start that he will take treats from you, be happy with that for now. All greys differ in likes and dislikes and you will soon learn what his favourite things are.Keep us up to date on how things are going.<br><br>Post edited by: she, at: 2009/03/15 09:05

Congrats on your new grey! Like others have said, let Kiddie tell you how fast he wants things to go. Don't rush him by trying to pick him up too soon. If he's letting you give him scratches you're already ahead of where I was with Dorian at this stage. Spend some time sitting by his cage talking to him, letting him observe the activity in the house from the safety of his cage. He won't start talking until he feels confident and safe so no worries if he's quiet for awhile. As for treats, whole walnuts in the shell cracked in half by me are a big hit around here!

I am so happy you decided to give Kiddy a new forever home. Karma to you for loving an older grey. It will take a little while for Kiddy to trust you and feel comfortable. My Ana Grey loves banana chips, slices of apple, and pecans. You have added a wonderful companion into your life, once he settles in you will be delighted with the joy a grey gives your life! Can't wait to see some pictures and hear now things progress!!

Tyco just adore brazil nuts and walnut she also loves banana chips and dried papaya all my birds like shreaded wheat or cherrios also I give them it for breakfast no sugar no milk and the munch it down. Thats great that Kiddy likes broccoli its full of good stuff that our Grey friends need. I wish all my birds would eat it but alass only 4 will the other three avoid it like I was trying to kill them so I cook it and chop it up fine and mix it in with their sweet potatos Sometimes you have to be sneaky to make sure they are getting everything they need:laugh: It sounds like your new bird is going to be a great companion don't worry about him shivering to much Tyco shivers allot aspecialy when shes excited because we are playing. Its a normal thing for Greys to do. uploading pictures is easy all you have to do is go to www.photobucket.com open an account down load your pictures there and then copy and paste the img code into your post and thats all there is to it thats the easiest way to go.

Well, you can offer them just to get the trust built up so your Grey will feel comfortable just being that close to your hands, before you actually try to get a step-up.

If your Grey is already fairly good with taking treats from your hand. You can use one hand as a lure with the treat as you request a step-up with the other. Once the step-up is completed, the reward is the treat.

Just don't try to give scratches etc. right away. Just let your Grey chill where it is on your hand and let it start the more intimate actions.

That is awesome that you got the parrot. I'm not an expert but what I do know is that with a Grey, everything takes time. They don't rush into anything so neither should you. Just love him, talk to him, hand feed him treats, play music for him, particuclarly calming music during this transition.

Remember, this bird's whole life has been turned upside down. Everything he has known has changed in a brief while. Greys are extreme thinkers nad he has to be very nervous. He has to get to feel comfortable with you and that just takes time, but also it will take him a while to build up good trust in you as he is unsure of what is next for him.

Be his friend. At first, don't leave him alone for too long of periods. That is where I erred with one of my birds and we had to kind of rehabilitate him, which took a while.

right then guys, kiddy has started talking again, i says cya, i love u and many other things. however he only talks wen nobody is in the room, he stops talking immediatly as soon as sum1 steps into the room.

He was scratchin a lot, so i gave it a shower today.

but............ he was scared, kept moving about and making that noise when Grey's are scared? guys am i doing sumthing wrong, is there a better way of giving him a shower? i put his cage in the bath with no water and turned the shower on, its wasnt on powerful, just drips. but he was screaming out of fear.

however i immediatly stopped and put his cage in the garden to let him calm down....

guys how shall i give him a bath/shower, i think he really needs one due to him scratching constantly?

many thanks

You're right, greys need baths/showers, but you may be rushing him. After all, he's had alot to deal with the past few days! A way to ease him into bathing is to take a spray bottle, put it on mist and spray above his head. I, and many others here, use 100% aloe vera juice when spraying him. You can find it in health food stores. I dilute it about 50%, some use it at full strength. Do a search here for aloe, bath or shower.

I was wondering, if you put his whole cage in the bath, how big is his cage? It sounds like it may be on the small side for a grey. They need room to stretch their wings fully, and room to play and climb around.

It's great that you've heard him talk a little. Sounds like you have a closet talker. It took a long time for Dorian to talk around me, and he still clams up around anybody else.:(

Hope you and kiddy have fun getting to know each other. We'd love to see pictures of your new addition when you have a chance.

Of course he was screaming out of fear. You scared the you know what out of him. Yes, there are many better ways to give a grey a shower but first you have to let him get settled in. You may have had a big set back giving him a shower like that and lost all trust you might have gained.

If he is scratching alot perhaps you might want to take him to a vet for a wellness check and make sure he doesn't have anything wrong with him. I think most greys do scratch somewhat but not excessive.

As for the shower, first I would let him settle in and get comfortable. Build up a trusting relationship. Remember he has already gone through a lot. Try and look at it from his side. He was just taken out of his home, doesn't know where he is or who you are, does not know where his former owner is and he is really confused and scared right now. Take things slow and let him get comfortable. Don't think you have to do everything in one day. It may take several weeks to several months for him to settle in and be comfortable. You must go at his pace, not yours.

As for showers, Alot of us use mister bottles and 100% aloe vera or water and mist them with it. Alot of greys don't like it or just tolerate it. I would go real slow at first. The key is to not frighten them. Maybe just a few misty squirts in the air and let it fall on their back. It all takes time. Please do not rush him or push him into situations that will frighten him. He is already going through a big change by changing homes and people. He does not understand and is probably very nervous and scared. It didn't help by putting the cage in the bath tub and turning the shower on. That could have traumatized him.

You said you put his cage in the bath tub and turned the shower on. Is this the cage he spends all his time in? His home? If it is the cage he lives in it is too small or you have a huge bathtub. Greys need a lot of space. The bigger the cage the better. I have mine in a cage that is 36" wide, 24" deep and about 50" tall and some think that is not big enough either. My grey came to me in a cage that was 24" x 24" x 50" tall and I felt it was still too small for him. They need to be able to stretch their wings out without being crowded.

Please keep reading through the many threads here. If there is something you would like to know just put it in the search box at the top of the page and click your enter button on your keyboard. If you want to know more about showers, put "bathing" or "showers", if you want to know about aloe vera put that in the search box or "diet" if you want to know about food. Or just ask here on the forum.

From what I've read you need to be more patient with your grey and go slow. His pace, not yours or he may not trust you.