NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

About halfway through Alex & Me

chimaysmommy

• 4 weeks later...

I just saw this thread. I read the book a couple of weeks ago and loved it. But, I have to say it made me feel guilty for leaving Ziva in a cage all day long. Dr. P states several times that they shouldn't be left caged all day long and I truly agree with her. I believe they should be flying free in Africa but that's not an option for Ziva.

I loved the book but it made me sad. I think animals are smarter than we give them credit for and it makes me sad how animals are treated in the world today.

I did read a follow up that Alex died from heart failure or a stroke and was not ill. It was "natural causes." Too bad he's not still with us. I think he could have showed us a lot more.

He had a sudden, unexpected event associated with arterosclerosis ("hardening of the arteries"). It was either a fatal arrhythmia, heart attack or stroke, which caused him to die suddenly with no suffering. The day before, he was perfectly fine acting no different than normal.

He plucked some of his feathers. Much less than many other greys do. He had a chronic plucking problem in one area of his body.

He was a plucker when Irene got him and nothing she did increased his plucking problem.

For a grey to live 31 yrs, she was definitely doing something right.