NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Gina Started Talking

Number6

I'm so proud. This morning, Gina started saying all kinds of things. The previous owner said she didn't talk, I got her less than a week ago. We've been continously talking and whistling to her, and this morning she is saying all kinds of things. She goes from mimicing birds from outside to "good girl", "what are you doing", and many others. She even has a maniacal laugh:lol:.

She seems to be warming up to us quite well, even to the point where she trusts me to hold her upside down.

Here's an album of her pics.

http://s131.photobucket.com/albums/p302/mchl_wood/Gina/

Enjoy!

That was Gina's buddy at her previous home. When I get some more $$ and permission from the significant other, I may try to get him or her too. The lady wanted $500 for each, and I picked Gina because of her demeanor.

Sorry to rant, but it really makes me mad that these people who mistreat/ don't understand their birds then ask for loads of money to get rid of them, to people who actually care. {Emotions-00020076} But I'm really glad Gina's got a good home now

Caspersmum wrote:

Sorry to rant, but it really makes me mad that these people who mistreat/ don't understand their birds then ask for loads of money to get rid of them, to people who actually care. {Emotions-00020076} But I'm really glad Gina's got a good home now

I don't think she was really mistreated, but rather they felt that she needed a little more attention.

I don't think they did much research on the species, rather, they listened to what the people at the pet store had to say. I'm not saying that ALL pet store employees are clueless, but not all know what they are talking about. For example: I repair my own vehicles and my friend's vehicles, but if I go to the parts store and have a code check ran on the car, the employees always want to sell me parts. Most of the time they are wrong, and just trying to make a sale, unless you happen to get a very knowledgeable person.

[rant]

And yes, extreme adoption fees are ludacris. There are people out there that get something, and once the novelty wears off, they try to make money, or they prey on caring people (puppy farms anyone??). :angry:[/rant]<br><br>Post edited by: Number6, at: 2007/06/08 23:17

I don't mean to sound like a paragon of virtue or anything, but afew years ago for personal reasons I had to get rid of my birds. I was heart broken, but there was no way I could sell them, so I gave them away to a good home. It just seems so cold-hearted to sell these little beings that are such a big part of our lives. I guess I'm just a mug, but then I'd rather be a mug than a git!

Julia

Caspersmum wrote:

I don't mean to sound like a paragon of virtue or anything, but afew years ago for personal reasons I had to get rid of my birds. I was heart broken, but there was no way I could sell them, so I gave them away to a good home. It just seems so cold-hearted to sell these little beings that are such a big part of our lives. I guess I'm just a mug, but then I'd rather be a mug than a git!

Julia

I could understand some sort of price, because cages, toys, etc. are expensive. But there are limits to things. I picked up Gina and here cage for $500, which is fair. I saw the exact same cage at the pet store on the way home for $299. But some people take it too far. "I can't care for the bird, gimme $900 plus what I paid for the cage." That should never be done. If you can't care for the animal, first off, why did you get it, second, let someone who can care for it take it home. You buy and sell houses for profit, not living beings.<br><br>Post edited by: Number6, at: 2007/06/08 23:52

Good news!!!

I've been in touch with Gina's previous owners, and they want to work with me to get the other bird. They want $500us for cage and all. Her name is Goretti (not too wild about the name), and she is a Mexican red head, a.k.a. Green cheek amazon. Since I don't currently have that much cash on hand, they said they would let me take her for $250us and pay the other $250us sometime in the next couple of months. I offered to have family portraits taken of them for partial payment on Goretti, and they agreed. My brother is a professional photographer, and he owes me one. :)

So... probably $100us in pics (like $30us out of pocket), and 2 payments of $200us, and I'll have Gina's buddy. They have been together since hatched, and this is the first time they've been apart.

I also found out that their priest is the one that told them to get rid of the birds. The priest said that all things exotic and luxurious are bad for their souls.

I put us next to all $ values, because I have NO idea what everyone's used to seeing.