NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Intro

Hi all,

My name is Maria, and I just joined your group. I have 4 parrots; 1 Grey, 1 Bluefront, 1 Senegal, and 1 Cockatiel. They are all around 10-11 years old and I've had them all since they were babies except for the 'tiel, she is a rescue.

I'm looking to get rid of their cages and have them be free in their room. I've gotten some nice playgyms and hanging perches and gyms, and I'm looking for some ideas and pros and cons from those who have done this.

I'm wondering if it's going to be a good idea to keep a cage or 2 in the room 'just in case'? Also, for those of you who have cage free birds, how do you keep the floor clean? I'm thinking of putting chair mats under the gyms and hanging gyms, do you think that is reasonable?

If anyone has pics of their bird rooms I'd love to steal some ideas!! I'm redoing the room next week, and any suggestions are welcome!

I have tons of questions, but I'll save them for another time so I don't wear out my welcome! :)

Maria

Hiya Maria,

Its great you could join us here.

You have quite a flock going on there! I cant help you with pictures of a bird room as my three are in their own cages in my front room, they spend all the free time I have out of their cages and I have a couple of playstands and a cargo net for them to play on.

I know other members have bird rooms though and I am sure they will help you with some ideas.

Hope you enjoy the forum:)

If you're gonna use a large room, you can go to any place like Gander Mountain or Cabellas ( both specialize in all types of outdoor gear, hunting equipment and loads of other things concerning the outdoorsman ) and purchase thin vinyl tarps. The tarps come in different sizes and if you feel like it you can cut them up to put in different places or just spread out the whole thing. They come in many sizes. If you don't know what I'm referring to, it's the same thing that's used to completely cover an automobile to protect against the weather or keep the car finish perfect.

As far as cages--my opinion is that the cages should remain especially if the cages were always used by the birds. Their cages are and were their homes. Having their cages around isn't gonna stop them from flying and roosting in an aviary room. I have an indoor aviary which doubles as an outdoor aviary for the summer. I made it and it's collapsable. Mine is 10 ft square, 8 ft high. So, if your aviary area is big enough think about keeping the cages.

Thanks for the welcome! Casper, I'd love to get a cargo net, where can you get them? Dave, thanks for the tip on the tarps, I'll look into that. And I think I'll just get rid of one of the cages. My Grey Harriet, and my Bluefront Oliver are very bonded and most of the time they end up in the same cage anyways. The room is pretty small (12'X 14')and I have to make some room for the hanging gyms :)

Maria