NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

nismo ere

deef

Some of as might remember me,Was on ere a while ago about nismo and moving her/him to my barber shop. All is well We even moved shop and were still very happy. Ive got a question how can I kinda train my grey to stop doing its poo. Ive started to move nismo back to his/her cage everytime he/she drops one? will this train her or whats your ideas on it ?????

That sounds just about right. It's called potty training and there's slightly different ways of doing it but your way isfine. Just speak to her nicely and offer a little nut or other treat when you catch her and bring her to the cage. It takes a little time but they soon get the idea that going to the cage means a little treat if she goes. Try to keep an eye on her and take her there quickly. Of course, you won't be successful all the time at first but as time goes on, she'll be potty trained.

Dave is right on about the potty training, I have never tried to train Josey but she does tend to go in a certain place in her cage and when I let her out she will come to the end of the door and let one fly so she avoids going in the cage unless she is shut up inside.

Deef

Like I said before, the way you're doing it is fine. it's the basic way of potty training and after a while your bird will learn to dump on whatever you bring him to. many people use a playstand and bring thebird there. Some put the bird in the cage. It really doesn't matter what area you bring him to. It's up to you. Just make sure that area is always used when bringing thebird to it.

As far as the wing clipping, I can't tell you how your bird will get to that area except by you bringing him there. Other people who have birds that fly do the same thing as you;re doing and after a while, the bird simply flies to that area to poop without being told to. So basicaly, as for now you'll be bringing the bird to whatever area you choose. Good luck with the dump that'll come out of the rump.

I didn't misunderstand you at all. You never mentioned a playstand. You never said you had him on a playstand. You never said where he was when he decides to poop. You only talked about your cage.

""Ive started to move nismo back to his/her cage everytime he/she drops one? will this train her or whats your ideas on it """"

So then find another place to bring him to. Most people use a playstand to potty train.

Where you bring him to is your choice. I only told you how to do it, not what area to choose to decide on other than a playstand.

Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/05 20:27<br><br>Post edited by: Dave007, at: 2009/03/05 20:30

Sorry guys..... I will start agai. k Ive gt Nismo in my barber shop.I ake her out of the cage and she sits on a paystand on the counter beside the til alday.When she does a poop I then mve her to her cage??? I usually move her back and forth a few times aday,roughtly around the same time.Ie her food and water is in the cage. Im tryin to get her used to te times, therefore can poop in cage.

If I dont ctch her and she poops off the playstand on thecounter, I then mve her to her cage. This is prob al wrong, sorry guys if I didint make it clearer earlier..... Can anyone shed some light on this cheers

Thats a tough one Deef.

To train a bird to poop somewhere, you need to being watching them and when you notice they are positioning themselves for a dump i.e starting to squat, you take them the where you wish to them to poop, place them there and say "Go Poop" or "Bombs Away" etc. This will take many repetitions, but your Grey wil eventually get the idea.

Being in a barber shop and staying busy, you may not be able to catch him nay times before he goes on his stand. So it will take longer for you to get him to catch on.

If possible, you need to keep one eye on him and move him when you see he is going to take a dump. :-)