NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

My grey doesn't eat by himself....

LilosMom

Hi all,

Lilo is a cage free bird he flies around the house all day following us. I have noticed for awhile that he doesn't eat on his own.

He has his food in the bird room which he can access to it any time of the day. But when he is hungry he would just tell us and expect us to bring him there or just wait for us untill one of us goes in to the bird room with him.

I have also noticed when he is in the house by himself he rarely eats or take a drink of water untill we get home.

I tried to encourge him to go to the birdroom by himself when he is hungry but he just rather wait. And placing the food water bowls all over the house isn't a solution either..

Does your grey eat by himself? any suggestion on how to solve this problem? Thank!

When a grey is hungry enough or thirsty enough, it will definitely go to where the food is. Healthy birds don't starve themselves nor do they not drink when thirsty. You're more worried about him eating then he is. All greys as well as other types of parrots will eventually eat by themselves unless they've been injured and can't actually get to their food. They'll need help. Be tough. Don't let the bird spoil you. You're the boss, not him.

But but.. the Vet mentioned that Lilo is on the skinny side (by feeling his chest bone) and it seems like he only pick out the seeds from his food dish. So I just thought that he is not eating as much as he should...I just want to get him to eat more thats all...anyways, gotta go jump now..Lilo is calling..:P

I feel the same on Rexxy. He is on the min weight of a TAG but he does poop a lot so I know he is eating. He is caged during the day but at night when he hangs out on his tree he has a bowl of pellets and a water bottle. He seems to snack when I am not looking :unsure: .