NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Looking for suggestions with new CAG baby

I am expecting a new CAG baby in a month. I'm very excited about her arrival. I did have a CAG before, and he was very special to me. I gave him to a friend in December because I felt he would be happier. I now have empy cage syndrome and bringing a baby into the house.

When I had gotten Stormy, he was a 1 year old untamed bird. He was not socialized and was terrified of people. He did great inside his cage, but hated to come out. After he was out, he did ok, but it was so traumatic to get him out that I didnt like forcing him to.

My new baby, I want to socialize her alot while she is a baby. I want to have a companion that will go out with me, and enjoy time outside of her cage, as well as being able to entertain herself inside the cage.

Since I've never had a baby african grey(I have hand raised baby cockatiels and lovebirds), I want any suggestions on what I should have for her when she comes into the house.

This is what I have now....

36W x 24D x 60H Cage with play top

play stand

just ordered hanging gym (I know she cant use this right away) http://www.parrotplayworld.com/centurian.html

Lots of toys, perches

flight suits

flight harness (by parrot university)

I am looking for suggestions from breeders or people that have recently had new babies. What are you finding that you really need to have.... or what makes this transition best for a baby?

Hello Jaiden and welcome to the family, so glad you could join us and we look forward to hearing more about you and this new grey.

I am so sorry you had to find a new home for your previous grey but if you haven't had much bird experience having an untamed grey could be a very traumatic experience for you and the grey, glad you found him a good home.

Proper socialization is necessary for a grey to become more comfortable in their new home and will make for a happier bird and owner.

You seem to have a sufficient cage and things necessary for a new arrival, I would sanitize them as well as you can before you put a new baby in.

You will find a lot of information in our nursery room so be sure to browse thru and do read a lot of the threads for useful advice and ask questions you may have and we will help you in any way we can.

Maybe I should clarify. I got stormy February 2006. I had him for almost 3 years. I was able to hold him on his back, touch him anywhere on his body. He trusted me, but he was terrified still to be out of the confines of his cage. He progressed leaps and bounds from when i had gotten him, but I think he just never got over the care (or lack of care) that he got in his first home. He was originally going to be used as a breeder. The woman I bought him from told me that he was friendly, but wouldnt trust me until I gave him some time. She said she couldnt handle him while I was there because he was afraid of me. She planned to use him for breeding, but when he was 13 months old, decided to sell him as a pet.

I have a few scars where he got me really good while I was working with him and trying to tame him. It took months before he would start to come around. I still love this bird, and I've seen him at my friends house. He has a much larger cage (since he stays there) and has lots of new toys!! He is very spoiled, and very happy. I gave my bird away to make him happy. I miss him terribly, but I know he is being well taken care of, and he is in a great big cage, and not stressed out by being taken out regularly. My friend is home all day and interacts with him throughout the day.

Guest jamalbirdbiz

Welcome to the grey forum family where we hope to make your grey experience the best it can be. :)<br><br>Post edited by: jamalbirdbiz, at: 2009/03/05 06:24

Hey Jaiden, welcome here. Sounds like you are ready with the basics. You should discuss with the breeder what the baby will be weaned to, like what brand of pellets Jazzi will be used to so you can have some of that ready and waiting... also some of the bird's favorite treats. I love the name Jazzi, that's very cute.:)