Which Fruits to give my Grey

Bronxboomer

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest Skuffy

This is for the Baby Greys...Interesting read if i say so myself..:blink:

Approximately 60% of the daily food consumption may be selections from this food group that includes seeds. Because many B vitamins are contained in the seed hulls (which the bird does not eat), other foods from this Group are also valuable to provide. They are : Whole wheat bread, Cooked brown rice, Commercial Monkey biscuit, Wheat Germ, and other whole grain products.

Vegetables alone may account for approximately 10% of the dietary intake. They are: Broccoli, Endive, Carrots, Parsley, Pumpkin, Winter Squash, Collard Greens, Sweet potato, Corn, Peas, Beans, Kale, Lima Beans, Black Eye Peas. Fruits are offered in only very limited amounts and should make up approximately 5% of the daily intake. They are: Apples, Bananas, Grapes, Strawberries, Cherries, Oranges, Figs, Kiwi, Mango, Papaya, Peaches, Pears. DO NOT FEED AVOCADO. It is poisonous to parrots.

Protein should consist of 25% of your birds diet. Hard cooked or scrambled eggs, Peanuts or other mature legumes (navy beans, kidney beans), Beef, Chicken, Tuna or other fish.

Excessive consumption of milk products by birds is not advised, but the calcium needs must be provided (although birds do enjoy small amounts of yogurt, cottage cheese, and hard cheeses). The greater the consumption of seeds in the diet, the higher the need for supplementary calcium. This is most easily met by mineral supplements in the form of Cuttlebone and Mineral Block. If a bird refuses to eat the above items, calcium supplementation (crushed tablets, liquid or powder), may be mixed with other foods. It is also important to ALWAYS GIVE FRESH WATER DAILY. Pet birds may also benefit and enjoy a sip of fresh fruit or vegetable juice occasionally. DO NOT FEED YOUR BIRD "GRIT" (small pieces of rock or shell). It does more harm than good.

http://www.geocities.com/rainforest/6463/food.html

B) Nice read there ^^^

Guest Skuffy

I find standing infront of Max and eating..he Looks at me as if to say,,So If its ok for you must be same for me,,,And wants what i have...Greys are like that,,want wat you have...lol...

{Nature-00020095} Well I am at least...CooKoo My new thing aswell..Like the clock in the main room...lol

• 8 months later...

Hi I used to give my Grey a clove of garlic every so often this is an interesting food for them to uncover my bird used to unwrap it carefully before having a munch also the added benefit of it being a natural antibiotic

I thought I should add this as I dont see it posted elsewhere

Oh yeah obvious point is it does make them a bit stinky lol<br><br>Post edited by: pugwash, at: 2009/01/04 02:20