NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Timneh - reverted to weaning posture

Nickname

Hello.

Does anyone know why my 9 month old Timneh has suddenly reverted to a manner that is similar to when we used to visit him as he was being weaned - i.e. squat low, head up and begging for food - and if I take my finger near him he tries to eat it. He is also doing the submissive noise they make too?

This state suddenly occurred after my wife and I had been out of the house for 6 hours this last Sunday.

He is still eating well and pooing fine but he is slightly less active. When he is out of his cage, he just snuggles up to me and begs. He has also stopped whistling and talking (chuntering in his own style) - he just begs like an unweaned baby.

I'm beginning to wonder if he is traumatized after something scaring him whilst we were out?

Has anyone else had anything similar and does anyone know how to get him back to normality.

Thanks,

Post edited by: Nickname, at: 2009/03/03 11:59<br><br>Post edited by: Nickname, at: 2009/03/03 16:17

Thats seems like normal behaviour to me for many Greys and other parrots when you've been gone for hours.

Our Grey acts just like a small child jumping up and down when mom and dad get home. The little panting starts once he's on my wife and all that lovey dovey stuff.

Enjoy those precious moments while they last. As they age they become less and less often in occurrence.

I wouldn't worry about it, as long as he is eating and pooping normal then he is fine, he just needs a little reassurance for some reason, give him what he wants and see if soon he is back to his old self.

Why don't you introduce yourself in the welcome room and tell us some about you and your grey?

Hi Nickname, I would look around and see if there was anything that could have traumatized your grey while you were out. Did you leave him in front of a window where something, a cat or hawk might have been seen. Or perhaps something in the house that made an unfamiliar shadow that could have frightened him. Whatever the reason I too would cuddly and pet my grey as much as he needs to reasure him and help him get back on the right track.

Just an update. As I am someone that doesn't get emotional - I must admit I am getting that way. My young parrot (Sooty) is becoming a little listless. I believe he has lost a little weight. I have booked an appointment with the vet - Johanna Storm for Thursday am - I heard she is the best in England.

Sooty is eating non-stop and it seems to be passing through him quite fast - still in reasonable form but not processed (hopefully you understand what I mean).

I've given him quite a bit of sweet water (as suggested by the breeder) and he has stripped a millet spray in one sitting. Still he seems hungry as if he is not getting any goodness from the food he eats.

I'm more than happy for comments and I will update this string of comments as time progresses.

Many thanks to all that have and will contirbute.<br><br>Post edited by: Nickname, at: 2009/03/04 01:43

I think a visit with an avian vet is exactly what you should do if he is becoming listless and has lost some weight and the sooner the better for birds hide illness until they no longer can, I would try to get one sooner than Thrusday if all possible. Not trying to scare you but sometimes by the time they show illness it is too late.

Please update us with any further news and good luck to you and Sooty.

An update on Sooty's status.

Just returned from a two hour visit to the Vet, where she was so thorough and kind. I would certainly recommend this lady.

After a discussion about Sooty and his problem he was anesthetized and then x-rayed. It appears that there is an enlargement to the lower intestines (I'm not too sure on the exact description). However,it may be that he has some either bacterial or fungal infection, possibly picked up when he was in the pet shop having been delivered by the hand-rearer. She mentioned that if this was what she thought it may be, then it would be caught from other birds (and we only have Sooty). This displays itself in not processing the food as fast or as fully as it should and this resulted in Sooty being constantly hungry, hence his return to being a baby asking for food.

(Sorry that my description may seem garbled, I must admit I was up-tight in that room with the vet.)

The vet has prescribed a variety of drugs, some to counteract what it may be and some to get his system back on track. She injected him with a few medicines and took blood and stool samples and I have to collect stool samples over a period of a week - which will be send of to a special lab for checking.

The way she handled Sooty and knew what to do was amazing - I do hope that should anyone need to go to a vet with their bird, they have a vet as knowledgeable and caring as mine. She's a real star.

I didn't realize that vet visits cost so much - but it was worth it as we are now on the road to recovery - and Sooty fortunately is insured.

It will now be around 8 weeks for the drugs to kick-in and then we have to return to the vet for a check up and determine what is the next step(s). However she did say that the prognosis was good, though it may take a good few months.

I hope the above is informative and helpful. Please let me know if you need any other details.

Thanks so much for updating us on Sooty, wow poor thing, no wonder he was so hungry, but I hope he is on the road to recovery.

Oh yes vet visits, especially avian vets are expensive but they can be lifesavers so the money is well spent, good you have Sooty insured.

Please keep us updated on Sooty's progress for we care about you and him.

Two days into the treatment and there is a definite improvement in Sooty.

Administering the drugs is a lengthy task - we mix them into some crushed biscuits and then feed it on a spoon. In the morning session, I get covered as he throws it everywhere, but in the evening, things are more sedate so we have a more productive time. Even so, its time together and we do enjoy it.

We will become more adept at getting Sooty to take the food/drugs but it will take time.

I am so chuffed that there are people that are interested and caring - many thanks for all your comments.

Hi everyone especially Nickname and Sooty. I'm so glad to hear of happy endings and positive results when it comes to our birds.

Getting back to the topic at hand, I wanted to mention that yes perhaps this behavior is in fact related to a scare. My Alex is 5 1/2 months old and has never done this to me since I've had him (1 1/2 months). All of a sudden he behaved this way yesterday morning when I greeted him and again this morning.

I just so happens that the night before this started I tried to get him to sleep in his smaller cage in the extra bedroom which until now he has only visited in the daytime. He got really stressed out and tried to get out of that cage any way he could. I ended up bringing him back to his regular cage for the night, but he did not recover right away. I don't think he got a good rest that night. I guess I expected too much from him. I will take the smaller cage and bring it out to the dining/family room where his regular cage is and see if he'll sleep in it over there before I try to move him back again...

Anyhow he's in much better spirits today (yesterday he wouldn't let me pet him all morning...) After he gulped down my finger a few times he put his head down for scritches...LOL

I personally don't believe in sleeping cages. A regular cage is where the bird spends all of it's time, either in or out of it. It's usually roomy, has all the toys in it, has all the little places that a bird has taken a lot of time to develop the cage in order to go to whenever it wants to eat, play, relax, nap or sleep in. The only reasons we go to our bedrooms is for doing personal things, is where the bed is located, is where many pieces of clothing are located. I believe that the only thing a person has to do in order to change that cage into a sleeping cage is to put a cover on it and many birds don't even need that.

The main reason I want to get him used to sleeping in a smaller cage in another place is because that second cage will be his home away from home when we go on vacation. We will be traveling by car 9 hours during Easter week to visit some relatives in northern Greece, so I want him to be as ready as he can be. He will need to feel comfortable in that cage in a strange house while we go out with the family... Not everyone understands birds and bird people so Alex will need to be on his best behavior and confident enough to be left alone in that 2nd cage. Up to now he will happily spend a couple of hours a day there playing with the toys, preening and eating nuts - but I guess when it comes to "the roost" it's a whole 'nother matter! Perhaps it will help if I place his sleeping branch in there when the time comes?

Hi Nickname

Im glad Sooty is better now. I hope that infection disappears in no time. What Judy told you was right. Those birds behaviour must be watched closely. They tend to hide their sickness and by the time it shows, it means its really in a late stage. Very small behavioral changes can be a hint. Like if a bird was friendly with your friends and visitors and suddenly stops being friendly. If the eating is less, poop is less or different, less movement and playfulness, even if the bird sits in his or her cage for longer than usual, or cuddles more than usual...all this has to be watched closely. I believe that the bird might not be able to tell you he needs you, but will try to show it by being dependent more than the usual manner. It indicates something is bothering him..

Best of luck with Sooty and please keep us updated