NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

AG talking in his sleep

Jaco1007

I have heard him say his name (Jaco) and good boy. He also mumbles a lot. He does this very often. I am often awake at night because I work overnight shifts at a hospital and with just my laptop computer on I can hear and see him. His cage is in my bedroom. His cage is also not covered at night (he doesn't like it). It's very strange. He is definately asleep while doing this. He has also fallen off his perch and crashed on the bottom while sleeping in the middle of the night. He was disoriented and confused after it happened. Is he dreaming???

Well, it's totally possible he is dreaming and talking in his sleep. Mine does not, atleast that I know of.

I have no doubt that critters dream, just as we do. I Know for a fact dogs and cats do as Ive watched them do so several times.

This is an interesting topic and I hope others have more input on this as well.

I wonder, do they dream in color? ;-) :-)

My grey does not talk or mumble in her sleep, but I had an eclectus who did ~smiles~ He would quietly talk himself to sleep, and then during the night I'd hear a little tiny voice mumbling or saying some of his words. I found it very endearing

REM (Rapid-eye-movement) is strongly associated with dreaming in humans. All mammals AND birds have REM. Here's some interesting info on sleep in birds from Wikipedia:

There are significant similarities between sleep in birds and sleep in mammals, which is one of the reasons for the idea that sleep in higher animals with its division into REM and non-REM sleep has evolved together with warm-bloodedness. Birds compensate for sleep loss in a manner similar to mammals, by deeper or more intense SWS (Slow-wave sleep).

Birds have both REM and non-REM sleep, and the EEG patterns of both have similarities to those of mammals. Different birds sleep different amounts,...The only clear explanatory factor for the variations in sleep amounts for birds of different species is that birds who sleep in environments where they are exposed to predators have less deep sleep than birds sleeping in more protected environments.

A peculiarity that birds share with aquatic mammals, and possibly also with certain species of lizards (opinions differ about that last point), is the ability for unihemispheric sleep. That is the ability to sleep with one cerebral hemisphere at a time, while the other hemisphere is awake.

Thats great information David!

Now, this hurts my brain "That is the ability to sleep with one cerebral hemisphere at a time, while the other hemisphere is awake."

I love an interesting topic to research and learn more. :-)

Thanks for posting this information.

Another interesting sleep fact is about whales. I was reminded of it the other day, Dan, when you posted that Greys need to consciously loosen their grip. Whales apparently cannot EVER sleep because they need to consciously breathe. If you put a whale under anesthesia, s/he will die. Of course, that seems to contradict the previous claim that all mammals have REM, unless they go into a sleep-like state between breathes. Like you say, more research required :)

• 4 months later...

I'm wondering about if AG sleep talks too. My AG usually mumbles for 10 minutes or so after we cover him up for the night, but pretty sure he isn't really asleep but rather just practicing words softly while covered up. However, there was this once when YoYo was taking a nap next to me and all of sudden I heard some mumbling from him. I turned and saw his mouth slightly open and some unrecognizable noise came out and his eyes were still closed.:blink: That's when I started to wonder if birds sleep talk, but haven't seen anything like it since then.

When its bedtime i part cover Alfie & he will say his name & good boy & chatter in grey talk for around half a hour then when hes quiet i cover him fully & he settles down for the night even though im still up with the tv on ;)

yoyo1106 wrote:

I turned and saw his mouth slightly open and some unrecognizable noise came out and his eyes were still closed.:blink:

He was snoring...just hope it doesn't get too loud and rattle the roof :P :silly: :P