NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG ×
NEW ADDRESS FOR MEMBERS GREYFORUMS.ORG

Mirror in the cage

HeatherStrella

Hey...I'm just wondering if any of you put a mirror in/on/around your Grey's cage? AnnaBella loves mirrors and I'd love to put one in her cage but I seem to remember reading that there's a reason NOT to. Also, it seems like all the birdie mirrors are framed with flimsy plastic. She'd chew it up in no time. If you do, can you tell me how your grey reacts to it and what kind you use...if you don't can you tell me why you don't.

Thanks!!

Heather

Some don't react that much. Others react in a playful way. Others react with fear when seeing their own face. Others totally ignore them until the time comes to investigate with the mouth. Plastic will get destroyed quickly. He won't swallow it but the broken plastic can cut the mouth. The mirror has a special checical coating on the back which makes it into a mirror and your bird might start scraping that backing. If your bird is the type that is destructive with toys or wood, watch out.

I'm aware of the dangers. I'm looking for a mirror that is "Grey safe". Or perhaps there's a way of attaching it to the cage that would make it safe. Maybe there's a mirror that's encased in a hard wood. ?? There has to be someone out there who has a Grey and the Grey has a safe mirror somehow attached to the cage.

I have a 2'x 3' mirror on a wall about 3or4 feet away from Tyco's cage she likes to watch me through the mirror she pretends she's not looking at me but I can see that she is when I look at the mirror. My Amazon is funny with the mirror she tries to see if there is a bird behind it. and she pecks at the bird in the mirror but I've never put a mirror in their cages I would be afraid it might get broken and they might cut themselve on it. What if something like that happened when I wasn't home. There is no way I would take that chance.

ok I have no idea if this is true or not but I heard a rumor that a grey will actually "form a bond" with the grey in the mirror and it could upset your relationship as they have fallen inlove with the other grey :P Like a mating pair :P Now I think this is underestimating how smart our babies are but I thought it was worth metioning to see what others say:)<br><br>Post edited by: cflanny, at: 2009/03/02 17:35

We have a mirror in the cage, 2 sometimes. They are a mirror on both sides and the edges are made of wood. There is a bell on the bottom. They love to sit there and grab the mirror. We have had no problems with the mirror, we just replace it when they have chewed through the wood.

• 5 months later...

cflanny wrote:

ok I have no idea if this is true or not but I heard a rumor that a grey will actually "form a bond" with the grey in the mirror and it could upset your relationship as they have fallen inlove with the other grey :P

This is also what I've heard and was told Mirror toys aren't bad but belong on the outside of the cage to help control how much time they have to "get to know" their buddy in the other dimension.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi Guys

I have read this thread some time back and I decided to research this further. I found this link that is also interesting:

http://www.africangreys.com/articles/relationships/mirror.htm

I have made few experiments with Kookie to now if he recognizes his own image. I have noted the following behaviours.

# Initially facing a large mirror, Kookie fluffed his feathers and started head bobbing, I am not sure due to excitement or to show the guy in the mirror that he is strong and ready for fight.

# closer to the mirror, Kookie tries to touch his beak to the image and make clicking noises

# after that he tries licking the parrot in the mirror

# then he decided to go behind the mirror to see who is there. Back and front a couple of times, then I guess he realised its himself

# I showed him a peanut behind him (he saw it first in the mirror), first he neared the mirror to get it, then he turned back to the real peanut

Now upon introducing a small mirror in his cage (a wooden framed one)

# Kookie loved it, but since mirror size is too small, it showes only his face image,so he tried to beak it. He seems so interestedby this and could play with it for a long time.

# When he is able to hold the mirror by his foot, he attacks it in a funny way, he is not really angry, I could tell by his body language, because he continued whisteling and singing, which is not the case if he fel threatened I guess he recognizes it as a toy and no a real threat

The last thing I noticed, which compelled me to write theses comments was that I noticed some sexual behaviour with Kookie (5 year old) twice after I cleaned his mirror.

He doesnt often dispay sexual behaviour so I thought it is due to the mirror

Now, sorry this comment has gone very long, but i would like to get your comments on this to see how other greys react.

Thanks guys and hope to hear your replies soon

I believe that Greys are smart enough to know that it is just a reflection and not another bird. I often put Whisper on a stand in the bathroom and she can see herself but does not pay ANY attention to it whatsoever. She has never acknowledged it. She can also see herself in the large mirror when she is on the shower rod. My Amazon however tried to do battle with his reflection while Whisper just looks on with a look that says " What a silly bird!"